Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That they did!!! Thanx everyone for all the help!!! Hurry up and get the all angel forum up!! Then we can help even more ppl!!!

Hi everyone!

Between house painting in the dead heat of summer in Florida and caring for my 2-month-old angels, I haven't posted lately... but there's been ton of activity here! I'm surfacing because work has started on the September issue of FinTAStic, the official newsletter of The Angelfish Society, and I'm looking for a feature tank/fish room. It could be a photo essay or article with photos/videos.

And very appropriate for here, if you have breeding story to share, drop me a line! Link to last issue below; please send me a private message if you'd like to know more. Deadline is August 24th.

http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/newsletters/2013_June_LowRes_2.1.pdf

Shawn

A quick update:
Had to go away for a couple of days and came back to some surprises. My Marble superveils have done poorly mixed with the Kois. Growth has been minimal compared to the Kois and I came back to find the larger marble veil dead and the other one appearing to have a skin condition. It is now under medication. I also found one of the Gold Marbles with a large exposed tumor in the abdomen looking more like a hernia than a tumor. This one also has been removed and is being medicated.
On my trip, I picked up another 2 Marbles, 2 Gold Marbles and a Gold Angel to add to my future breeders tank. Pics to follow.

Oh the joys of keeping fish :blink: :facepalm:

survival of the fittest

And while I was down In Miami amongst my old customers, I told them what I was doing and mostly got the reply: " WHAT!!!! You are crazy to get back into this!!!!!" I guess all those years of bubbles have finally caught up with me. My brain can't think straight.:blink: lol I'm still moving forward. I LOVES my fishies (y)

heck yes we are all crazy but if it wasn't for us crazy people we wouldn't have nice healthy angel fish. we got the fish bug bad. and i LOVE it. welcome home andy

My husband thinks I am crazy for doing this. But I love my fish and I have to say I am addicted to this hobby. Especially my angelfish. I love raising them and it gives me such a rewarding experience knowing that I am helping a species thrive and survive. So if that's crazy then I am in the nut house.

Just thought I would share my news with you all. My bettas at work have eggs now. What a surprise it was to witness the whole betta mating ritual. I posted the whole story on the betta breeding thread I f you would like to read it. Definitely caught me by surprise.

So I thought I should do an update. Both the silver parents and now my koi parents are successfully raising their broods. For the koi this is their first successful brood which is about 3 weeks old now. Will have to move the fry soon and that will be interesting I think. The parents attack the cloud of bbs when I squirt it in the tank. The silvers are on their third brood and their pros at it. Completely calm when I approach and squirt. They'll come up for a mouthful of bbs then go to the front corner again. I knew I was in need of another large tank so a picked up a 50gal with 6 angels, a blue gouramis, and two catfish off of kijiji. The angel are adults with one black, 4 young adult pearl scale and a silver that's a pearlscale or very shiny silver.

image-585568713.jpg

So I placed them all in this 30gal quarantine tank until I'm certain they are healthy. I knew that the black veil is a male which is great because I wanted a black male for my black female. The others I was uncertain of but by following Andy's technique I figure the very shiny silver was a female and I think at least one of the pearl scales are female. I noticed something odd about the tank today. If you look at the pic you'll notice the black and silver hanging around the slate I put in there to get them used to seeing it. The others are all hanging out the other end of the tank. Or more like forced to the other side.

image-3619516149.jpg

No the biggest spawn but then again I wasn't conditioning them for breeding yet. As I mentioned I wanted to pair the black male with my black female but I'm sure that can still be done.

Good to hear you are moving along in a positive way Ray. Congrats! Keep up the good work (y)
As for your "new " pair, you might be surprised and get 1/2 black Angels from this pairing. I was hoping to find some extra Blacks and Silvers on this last trip to try to breed for that myself but had no luck. Just golds, Marbles and Gold Marbles this time :( Blah ha ha ha :lol:

HELP! BREEDING ANGELS!!! I FINALLY have them!!!

They are in my 55 gallon with a divider set up so no one bothers them! I saw the signs, but now after doing a 20% cool water change.... EGG LAYING!!!!

This is their VERY FIRST TIME!!! Please tell me EVERYTHING a beginner breeder needs to know! Breeding fish (angels specifically) is what I want to do for a side job (full time?) when I'm older and this is my first pair!! I am SO EXCITED!! They're paired naturally with 7 angels total in the tank. Both of them are silver type. I need to know everything!! Thank you!!

Mocha and Calypso:

Attachments

• image-2426462048.jpg
    image-2426462048.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 58
  • image-196375391.jpg
    image-196375391.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3851273664.jpg
    image-3851273664.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 59
  • image-887637855.jpg
    image-887637855.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 57
Congrats and nice looking fish! There's a lot of info to be said about breeding and raising angel fish and most of it is covered in this thread. I suggest reading it all instead of us trying to cover it all again (that would double this thread) ;) If there's something that doesn't makes sense or isn't covered ask away. Biggest thing I can say to start is angels produce large amount of fry which translates to large amounts of tank space. Hope this helps and you're right. It is very exciting to see the whole process of spawning to fry rearing!

Woke up this morning to a blank slate. Not really surprised. This is their first spawn. I am wondering if I should keep the pair together in their own separate tank or split them up and put the black male with my black female as I was planning to do. Andy or Bob, any suggestions would be appreciated. I can say that I know both the black female and black came from the same breeder but at different times. I'm uncertain of the age of the male but my female is approx 1 1/2 yrs.

Hello strangers.

Looks like the beat still goes on :D all of my angels were on strike for a while. got some algae outbreak going on and I cant put a finger on what the cause is. just got home to Blackie and Pumba laying eggs (she cant make up her mind who she wants to be with lol). I will be pulling them to the 10 gallon that I just cleaned a few days ago that was rearing convicts. I think those adults are up to something too.

kay if it was me i personally like to keep my colors together. not everyone dose this so it dose not really matter. its your own decision . mixing colors is how they have gotten the variety that we have today. not sure if the genes weaken from mixing colors or strengthen with keeping colors together but i think andy could let us know on this.

So i went into one of my not so very close chain stores today and went straight to the fish, and ended up having a great convo with the gentleman running that section. He used to breed and has extra tanks he is willing to give me!!! He gave me his card. I may be moving my tanks to the basement soon i guess... he has 10g's, and maybe a 20 long and 30 long... i think those were the sizes. I will have to get more info from him soon!!! Sometimes, even in the chain stores you find a good employee!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom