Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an idea... since planting my 55 my trates havent gone higher then 5, and all ive done for months is top it off... i dont have any special equip, or lights, but the plants have stabilized the water and helped it stay cleaner.

The tank houses 5 adult angels, only 1 fully grown, a grown BNP, 8 kuhli loaches, an african butterfly fish, and a peppered cory

Hi everyone. A little update on my breeder pair. They have recovered fully from their illness. I finally have my 40 gallon breeder tank setup, just waiting for it to cycle. I moved my Pearlscale pair back into their 20 gallon home after treating them for two weeks. I took off the canister filter and only have a sponge filter running now. I moved the surviving eight babies into a ten gallon tank but haven't seen them lately. I think I may have lost them. Today the Pearlscales are cleaning the slate so I am expecting them to spawn this week sometime.

Hi guys!!!! I'm still alive. :)

I do actually have two angelfish tanks still, and at least one pair still spawns regularly, but they also eat their eggs regularly. I am still planning in taking down one of the tanks - the angel only tank - and keeping the other community tank.

In July I started prepping to leave my life of corporate work behind and open an espresso and ice cream shop. I got the work done and opened the shop in September... Friday the Thirteenth. LOL! I moved my main tank, the 150g to the shop and filled it with African cichlids. They are super lively and interact with all the customers, and my customers LOVE them. My business is thriving (so far) and takes almost all of my waking time, which is the reason I plan to take down at least one of the tanks I still have at home.

I never did sell my gorgeous spawning pair, the platinum marble female and the silver male. I wanted to make sure they went to a good home, and since I still have them, that's why I haven't taken that tank down yet. But it's really gotta go since it is not getting the care, maintenance, and attention it deserves anymore. :-(

Thanks for checking on me everyone!!!
Angelwings

Thanks for checking in. Glad to hear things are going good for you. (y) As you can see, your thread has led to a mountain of info on breeding Angels. When a you have a few minutes/hours (lol) you should read through it. ;)
Hope you are able at some point to get back to having some more wigglers :D (y)

Ok I came home today and my Pearlscales had spawned. We will see what happens this time. Hopefully the parents will stay healthy enough to raise them.

I have a question for you all. Do you cycle a tank with a sponge filter the same way you cycle a tank with a canister filter or a HOB filter? Just wondering when my 40 gallon tank will be ready for the 5 babies I have left from my first breeder pair.

Ok I came home today and my Pearlscales had spawned. We will see what happens this time. Hopefully the parents will stay healthy enough to raise them.

I have a question for you all. Do you cycle a tank with a sponge filter the same way you cycle a tank with a canister filter or a HOB filter? Just wondering when my 40 gallon tank will be ready for the 5 babies I have left from my first breeder pair.

What I do is set up a sponge filter in an existing tank for a couple of weeks for a bacteria bed to start growing. Sometimes, when I need a filter in a hurry, I'll take an existing filter and squeeze out some of the "gunk" into the new tank so it can recolonize in the new sponge.

I know everybody goes balistic when they hear about "fish in" cycling but in the old days, THAT was the only way we did it. Truthfully, I think you would really need to overfeed the crap out of that tank for 5 small fish to create so much ammonia in a tank that size that it becomes so toxic that they will die from it. PLUS, since you are in MD, I believe you have soft Acidic water with a PH of less than 7.0. What that means is that even tho there will be an ammonia reading, it is really ammonium which is not toxic to the fish. That will give the filter a chance to cycle on it's own while not doing damage to the fish. When I lived in NJ with those conditions, I just maintained my regular water change schedule and the fish did fine. Your biggest concern would be with Nitrites which you can detoxify with Seachem's PRIME if they climb too high. Keep your graph to monitor the cyclings just so that you know but I wouldn't expect things to get that bad.

So YES, you cycle a tank with a sponge filter the same way as with other filters. ;) :D

Hope this helps (y)

What I do is set up a sponge filter in an existing tank for a couple of weeks for a bacteria bed to start growing. Sometimes, when I need a filter in a hurry, I'll take an existing filter and squeeze out some of the "gunk" into the new tank so it can recolonize in the new sponge. I know everybody goes balistic when they hear about "fish in" cycling but in the old days, THAT was the only way we did it. Truthfully, I think you would really need to overfeed the crap out of that tank for 5 small fish to create so much ammonia in a tank that size that it becomes so toxic that they will die from it. PLUS, since you are in MD, I believe you have soft Acidic water with a PH of less than 7.0. What that means is that even tho there will be an ammonia reading, it is really ammonium which is not toxic to the fish. That will give the filter a chance to cycle on it's own while not doing damage to the fish. When I lived in NJ with those conditions, I just maintained my regular water change schedule and the fish did fine. Your biggest concern would be with Nitrites which you can detoxify with Seachem's PRIME if they climb too high. Keep your graph to monitor the cyclings just so that you know but I wouldn't expect things to get that bad. So YES, you cycle a tank with a sponge filter the same way as with other filters. ;) :D Hope this helps (y)

Ok thanks Andy. I kinda thought it would be the same but wasn't sure.

I may not have angel eggs but i do have cory eggs. Are they the same as angel eggs?

No. Corys eggs produce corys where as angel eggs produce angels :D Sorry couldn't resist! I personally don't know but am willing to to follow along (whether it's in this thread or if you start a new one) as I hope to breed mine.

Pearlscale Breeders

Well my pearlscales ate the eggs again:banghead:. I really thought they were going to raise them this time. They even cleaned off all the unfertilized eggs and left the fertilized ones on the slate. I think the male is eating the eggs because the female was very upset with him this morning. She was locking lips with him and they were going around in circles like they were in a boxing ring.:lol: Oh well maybe next time they will have better luck.

Brown spots on Pearscale Breeders

Ok I just noticed that my pearlscale breeders have tiny brown spots on them the male has more than the female.:( Does anyone know what this is?

A quick update:
I have about 25-30 fry that are from the trio members (Gold Marble/ Marble) that are 2 weeks old post hatch. Eating and growing which is a good sign. I also have a marble spawn that was a real disappointment so there may only be about 10 fry that hatched out about 3 days ago. (I'm keeping them going just to see how they turn out.)
My trio has been spending a lot of time together this past week with little to no squabbles so who knows what this means. Maybe a reconciliation and group spawning next time? (My fingers are crossed for this as all 3 fish have been proven fertile so that would be a massive spawn.)
I just got off the phone with a fellow breeder from long ago and he told me he has the red caps I've been looking for. Looks like I'm the victim of my own joke. I need more tanks :D lol
Pics to follow ;)

Mts is very contagious. Im getting a pair of albino platinum blue and pinoy blue tomorrow so i have a 20g setup ready and waiting for them. I cant wait to have a fourth pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom