Will a Pleco 'fit in' my Cichlid Community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Common plecos can grow to 1-2 feet ( yes, feet). A bristlenose pleco grow to 4-5 inches.

:)

I shall clarify. The Ancistrus sp. commonly sold as the bristlenose pleco, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus, usually grows to four to five inches in length, and will not outgrow the tank in question contrary to the original assertion. Since some of the more exotic species of Ancistrus can reach lengths approaching 8", I made a misinterpreted point to specify which BN I was referring to. The various Hypostomus and Pterygoplichthys species offered in the trade under the monniker of "common pleco" will reach anywhere from 10" to 24" and are inappropriate for DoubleA's tank. My Pterygoplichthys pardalis is currently 15"; my first pleco, a Hypostomus sp., was around 18" when it died in 2005 at the age of 18.

WYite

Get a 4 to 6 inch pleco and they should get along fine. If a cichlid pair starts breeding then remove the Pleco. Most Cichlids, especially pairs, are very territoriual.

Back
Top Bottom