Will ammonia kill pest snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skyman7231

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently planted my aquarium and today, while I was getting ready to fish less cycle, I noticed that I have a few of the small pest snails. So I was wondering if anyone knew if the ammonia from the cycle will kill them or if I need to be considering other ways to deal with the alien invasion I know is coming.

Ammonia will not kill them. I am fishless cycling at 4-5 ppm and my snails are reproducing at a feverish pace. But they are getting the algae in check so I'm cool with it

Alright that stinks I was hoping it would :( But thanks for the help! :)

you could use a high dose of aquarium salt since your doing a fish-less cycle that will kill them off than just do a big water change before adding stock

sorry didn't realize you had plants
kholie loaches love them lil snails mine wiped them out in no time

They self regulate themselfs if you have a boom of snails in an established tank 95% of the time you are over feeding. As you fishless cycle you will get a boom due to the algae bloom your almost bound to get. I like it cause they are cleaning it up for free :) and as some of your plants leaves die they eat that too. Win/win.

Now if seeing a few snails in your tank bugs you then lettuce in a jar every day and scraping eggs out of the tank should after awhile kill them off. Or if you have buddies that have assassin snails ask to borrow a cpl and watch them feast

+1 to Coursair & Wepwawet

I have pond snails in all of my tanks as well. They do not bother me or the plants and I rarely ever notice they are even there unless I am cleaning my filter media. :)

Back
Top Bottom