will an RO system reduce phosphates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewInTown

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will an RO system reduce phosphates? I just started testing for phosphates. I never had any major algea problems but I decided to
pick up a test kit. My phosphates are around 1.5. Is this bad?
How can I lower them? My tap water tests at 0.5. Will the RO system make them 0?

Levels above 1mg/L of phosphate probably show a lack of maintenance or overfeeding. The best way to reduce the phosphate level is to perform a 20% water change. I am a firm believer in having or using RO/DI water. Will the RO system make your readings 0? I'm not sure...(let the pro's chime in) but a RO/DI machine will help, if you do regular water changes with it. 1.5 is pretty high IMO.

Like boardsurfer said it is probably due to overfeeding. You can also consider using a phosphate sponge. I had great success with RowsPhos.

A RO/DI unit will NOT reduce phosphates but it will NOT introduce them into your water via your water supply. To reduce phosphates you need some kind of phosphate sponge or a phosphate eliminator. I used a product by caribsea called phosbuster and it worked wonders. But in order to maintain the miniscule amount of phosphate i have I went to a RO/DI unit and haven't had any problems since.

As has been suggested you need to find the true source of the phosphates. If you where previously using tap water for top offs or new saltwater then its possible some phosphates are being intoduced this way but most will shwo up in the food. Water changes, protein skimmer and other mechanical forms of removal will work best to get the phosphates you have out of the tank. The RO unit will then keep more phosphates from being introduced via the water supply but until you find the source you will always have the phosphate issue.

Back
Top Bottom