Will beef heart make my convict fry grow faster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinCase

Aquarium Advice Activist
I feed my convicts beef heart but my fry always end up eating the left overs... I'm thinking about starting to feed beef heart to thebfry.. Do you guys know if they will grow quicker?

Attachments

• image-3268530765.jpg
    image-3268530765.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3479389018.jpg
    image-3479389018.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 93
Fish aren't meant to digest animal proteins so there's allot of waste and they don't make full use of it. You'd be better off feeding pieces of raw salmon, prawns, scallops ect.

I'm not arguing your claim I'm just really asking, then why do they sell it for fish if it's no good

I'm not arguing your claim I'm just really asking, then why do they sell it for fish if it's no good

To make money, same reason why tetra and those other companies make low grade "fish food". It's just like Mc Donald's, it may taste good but there's little to no nutritional value and there's way to much fat or in the fishes case protein.

animal proteins

Fish aren't meant to digest animal proteins so there's allot of waste and they don't make full use of it. You'd be better off feeding pieces of raw salmon, prawns, scallops etc.

IMO as long as it's lean meat it should be no problem. Back when I had fresh water tanks I would buy beef heart at the grocery store and trim it down to just lean meat. Then run it through a food processor and freeze it in baggies that I flattened so it would break easily when frozen. Unless I'm mistaken fish are animals too.

To make money, same reason why tetra and those other companies make low grade "fish food". It's just like Mc Donald's, it may taste good but there's little to no nutritional value and there's way to much fat or in the fishes case protein.

Ok thnx :D but I buy frozen cube beef heart from petsmart (you can see the picture).. Will it make my fry grow faster than normal food?

IMO as long as it's lean meat it should be no problem. Back when I had fresh water tanks I would buy beef heart at the grocery store and trim it down to just lean meat. Then run it through a food processor and freeze it in baggies that I flattened so it would break easily when frozen. Unless I'm mistaken fish are animals too.

Ok thnx :D but I buy frozen cube beef heart from petsmart (you can see the picture).. Will it make my fry grow faster than normal food?

My apologies I spoke wrong, I meant to say mammal protein. It's not something they commonly encounter in the wild and it's not something their digestive system is meant to process.

NLS grow formula would be the best and balanced choice to grow out fry IMO. Although I don't know why you'd want to grow out convicts ;-)

Back
Top Bottom