Will chiclids pick on plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a pleco with African cichlids... They do tend to pick on him. His tail and fins are nipped quite often. However some ppl have no problems with the combo and some have terrible problems....

Yes they will, and plecos of the appropriate size are practically bulletproof (vs cichlid attacks) - Many will repay transgressions in kind as well. Nothing like watching a red devil run for it's life from an irritated royal pleco...:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
I rescued a clown pleco from a Malawi tank who had his eyeballs eaten out. I wouldn't put them together

I've had plecs in every cichlid tank that's been running for twenty years with only three deaths and they were all albino's(and I keep some of the nastiest cichlids that's swim) so I going to go out on a limb and says it's ok.

IvanMike said:
Yes they will, and plecos of the appropriate size are practically bulletproof (vs cichlid attacks) - Many will repay transgressions in kind as well. Nothing like watching a red devil run for it's life from an irritated royal pleco...:popcorn:

Wat about a ruber lip and jack dempseys

I have them in each of my larger tank, and no prob yet ( knock on wood) but they are also all larger common plecos, ( larger than fish in tank) tho I'd like to get some bristlenose and rehome 2.... Gotta keep my largest " puff" he's my sons and have had Him for several years and he knows us.... Tho I have tons of rocks aping and they can sleep in their " hideouts" during day...

I had a ten gallon with with a neon jewel and a red jewel and they nipped and bullied a convict to death but they left my Pleco alone unless I was trying to feed the Pleco now I have a 70 gallon and they have been pretty peaceful

I have a Mbuna tank with 1 standard Brown adult BN and 2 Green Dragon BN. The Mbuna are forever stealing the BN wafers and they try to pick on the Adult BN but he gives as good as he gets.
But there are a lot of different Plecos besides, BN and Common. What size tank do you have?

I have a Jack Dempsey and a convict and neither bother my Pleco more then steeping his food. Lol I have also kept them with labs Hals and angels. Clearly not all in one tank lol

i have a pleco in with my africans and yes sometimes they get into it with him but only a nip or two here or there, usually bc he likes to stick his nose in their brief squabbles. or bc they want his algae taps.

I have an assorted group of African Mbuna's in the tank with 2 bristlenose plecos, 1 leopard frog pleco (L-134) and 1 green phantom pleco, I've never had any problems with them. Then again it depends on how big the tank is and what kind of cichlids you are keeping.

I've got 3 mbuna tanks and 1 frontosa tank and have plecos in all of them. Sure my dom males try to push them around every now and then, but the plecos never get hurt.

I think this sums up to, do you trust your fish and if you do, keep a strong eye on their interactions. I have heard that if you keep plecos with South American cichlids when they are young, that the cichlid is less likely to attack it. I'm going to try this with my FH.

Well said Crazy...no matter what's suppose to get along with who it's all up to the individual personalities of the tank.

Have always kept a common plec in my main african tank without issue but the residents are pretty much woosys. Not sure I'd put a small one in there as that may peak their interest but do keep brown bushy nose in a couple of the Victorian tanks without an issue. Think it really depends on the cichlid(s)

I agree crazylady! My kamfa dosent even pay him any mind now but when they were first introduced forget about it! Thought about taking him out, but i guess now the flowerhorn is like do what u gotta do but dont get in my way..

Back
Top Bottom