Will ghost shrimp fit in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_little_tetra

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I've been considering adding two or three ghost shrimp to my 3gallon tank. It currently has 1 male betta. (It is filtered and has a heater, btw.)

I know that 3g is on the lower limit of what a betta can go in depending on the source, so would ghost shrimp add enough to the bioload and/or take up enough space in the tank to cause more potential problems with water quality and make my betta unhappy?

He's happy and lively and blowing bubble nests like crazy, so I don't want to ruin his day, lol.

I dont think the shrimp would affect the bioload at all and plus the shrimp would clean the tank but only problem is the betta might attack them

My betta doesn't bother my japonica shrimp. You would be fine with some ghost, just try to get the biggest your store has.

Thank you for the replies. I realize there is a chance he may want to eat them. I will have a back up plan in that case...if I catch it on time, lol! I was just concerned that the shrimp would really throw that little tank off parameter wise. Sounds like they won't make much of a difference, so I think I may give it a go :)

Speaking of back up plans...would the shrimp fare any better in my 29g if the betta gets too feisty? Or would my angelfish or Colombian tetras eat them? The tank has tons of fake plants and a large piece of driftwood for places to hide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom