Will I need root tabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bert2oo1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys just setup my scape for the new planted tank. I'm using fluval soil as an under layer and Eco complete mineral gravel over the top (both decent coverage). I'm planning on doing a hair grass carpet with a few Amazon swords and a moss tree. Will I need root tabs to grow the carpet or will my mineral substrate be enough for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey guys just setup my scape for the new planted tank. I'm using fluval soil as an under layer and Eco complete mineral gravel over the top (both decent coverage). I'm planning on doing a hair grass carpet with a few Amazon swords and a moss tree. Will I need root tabs to grow the carpet or will my mineral substrate be enough for it?

It's tough to say as all tanks are different and plants species requirements and uptake rates vary. Also if your lighting intensity is high the rate of photosynthesis will be higher, therefore nutrient requirements and uptake rates will be greater.

Sort you lighting and co2 out and see how you get on. If plants show mineral related deficiencies then you can either dose the water column or add root tabs. If you are unsure you will have more chance of success dosing nutrients at the root and to the water column.

Back
Top Bottom