Will LED's grow plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bully405Customz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
There are 2 things I need some help with. First, in my 150 gallon tall for.lighting I use a 4' four bulb all with individual reflectors. The tank is stocked with Malawi mbuna so it's not planted and that light grows Algae like crazy. Is there anyway possible to resolve the algae? The secondly I just set up a 50 gallon grow out tank for my pair of Jack Dempseys and would like to plant it, its fixture is a 2 bulb t5ho. So what plants would you guys suggest? This is the tank currently aand it's to plain for my liking. Plus its inhabitants. Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111205_235541.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111205_235541.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 126
  • ForumRunner_20111205_235614.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111205_235614.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20111205_235736.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111205_235736.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 101
There are 2 things I need some help with. First, in my 150 gallon tall for.lighting I use a 4' four bulb all with individual reflectors. The tank is stocked with Malawi mbuna so it's not planted and that light grows Algae like crazy. Is there anyway possible to resolve the algae? The secondly I just set up a 50 gallon grow out tank for my pair of Jack Dempseys and would like to plant it, its fixture is a 2 bulb t5ho. So what plants would you guys suggest? This is the tank currently aand it's to plain for my liking. Plus its inhabitants. Thanks in advance :)

1st problem: No. That's a crapton of light and will grow algae, especially if there are no plants to compete with it. Maybe try just putting two bulbs in it and see if it still runs, or take other light reducing precautions.

2nd problem: There are a lot of plants available, so it really depends on the look you're going for. That being said, let me just say that JDs sometimes have very...... particular opinions on how their tanks should look and that may or may not include plants.

LEDs can and will grow but pretty much low light stuff and at a slow pace. I've grown anacharis and cabomba w marineland LEDs on my 30 long no problem but not too much else took hold...

Thanks guys. It had to do with leds because I was wondering if they would grow less algae. As far as the first problem I'm going to try leds in the near future the only problem is my tank is deeep. So I'm not sure how much the led will light it.

And with the jds ill just have to try a few different kinds and see what they like or if they will allow aanything at all. Lol

Less light is less algae. LEDs are less light, so you'll have less algae.

If it's not planted, I don't think the fish care if you don't meet an arbitrary light threshold.

Then ill try the leds and see where that takes me. The JDs tank is definitely getting leds. do uyou know anything aabout Onion plant?

I disagree with the opinion that LEDs will limit your tank to the medium-light range at best. Check out the LED link in my signature. My LEDs grew a crazy thick glosso carpet.

I disagree with the opinion that LEDs will limit your tank to the medium-light range at best. Check out the LED link in my signature. My LEDs grew a crazy thick glosso carpet.

Would you not agree though that most premade LED setups (double bright and reef bright, etc) would in fact impose such a limit? I don't think that it's fair to lump CREE LEDs and the cheap diodes that they put in most retail fixtures into the same category. Most of the PAR data I've seen regarding LEDs supports this.

Moved to Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Would you not agree though that most premade LED setups (double bright and reef bright, etc) would in fact impose such a limit? I don't think that it's fair to lump CREE LEDs and the cheap diodes that they put in most retail fixtures into the same category. Most of the PAR data I've seen regarding LEDs supports this.

I would agree with this from what I have seen and read. Most of the COTS fixtures are not in the same league as a good CREE LED fixture.

Most of the common COTS fixtures out there use crappy 1W diodes that just don't stack up to the PAR of a 3+W CREE.

Edit: Thinking you might have meant what they actually mean...

COTS = commercial off the shelf. The most common cheap LED fixtures out there that I have seen are the marineland.

CREE is a trademarked name for a particular brand of high quality (but comparatively expensive) type of LED.

Last edited:
I was wondering about this as well but didn't want to start yet another "will LEDs grow plants" thread. :) I've read conflicting opinions though about whether LEDs are OK with low-light plants.

My current stock lighting broke (T8 single bulb florescent 8,000K) and was looking at an upgrade. I've tried a dual T5 fixture before (with one red plant bulb and one daylight) and it was too bright for my liking. I'm now considering the Marineland LEDs but I have a good amount of low-light plants (Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, getting some Hornwart and Crypts as well) so 1) will the plants grow (or at least sustain themselves) with the LEDs? 2) Should I dose ferts to supplement or not (I don't currently). I barely get 5 nitrates before a water change so not sure whether that makes a difference on whether I should dose ferts.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Read all the posts. I replied earlier. but I have used marineland LEDs on a 30 long tank before and it grew low light plants just fine. I actually still have them in the closet. I think I'll put them on the classifieds if ur interested.

I have Marineland leds on my 50gal, dose flourish & excel, & my low light plants are barely surviving. Anubias seem to be the only thing the leds havent affected. I like the look of the moonlights but i think the leds are awful for actually growing anything. Plan on upgrading for christmas!!!

I have Marineland leds on my 50gal, dose flourish & excel, & my low light plants are barely surviving. Anubias seem to be the only thing the leds havent affected. I like the look of the moonlights but i think the leds are awful for actually growing anything. Plan on upgrading for christmas!!!

Thanks Jlk! I didn't end up going with the LEDs; the two stores I went to only had the Single Bright Marineland and I didn't think they would be enough to grow plants, plus the shimmer effect may have gotten on my nerves after a while. :)

I went with the Aqueon T5 dual fixture; it came with one daylight bulb and one Colormax bulb but that combo for me was too bright so I switched the daylight for another Colormax and I think it works well. I have lowlight plants (although I did order some Italian Vals and red Dwarf Lily plants online) so they should grow with these lights. It's a 20 gal high tank. From what I'm reading it isn't considered high light and I shouldn't have to dose anything extra or add CO2. If anyone thinks I need to, let me know. Otherwise I'm going to see how it goes.

Going back to the question of the OP... Algae is hard to control, try the following:
Reduce the time of the light... People suggest 4 hrs on, then 4 hrs off...4 hrs on......
Reduce feeding to the fish, overfeeding will increase algae problems.

Just some ideas

Back
Top Bottom