Will my floor hold a 75 gallon aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raeshawn0

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My house was built in 1963 and i just wanna know before hand but i have a 40 gallon aquarium already set up I also live in a house but on the second floor that's why i'm worried cause i don't want it falling through the floor on someone?

Impossible to say based on the age of the building alone. Some older houses are actually more sturdy than new ones, which are often built using cheap and filmsy materials. You'd have to do more research on your particular building and check what the floors are made of, how and if they're reinforced, etc.

Really depends on the joists and subfloor construction... can you see any of that anywhere? Through a crawlspace or something? Flooring should be on 8 inch joists, I don't think 6 inch joists will cut it, but they might. Also, is it near or on top of a load bearing wall from below??

Corners of buildings are normally the best spot to put larger tanks because they’re made to literally hold the house, I’d still check if there’s supports or trusses running along where you want to put it though!

Back
Top Bottom