Will pleco eat fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have over 50 glofish fry in a ten gallon and I have a small pleco (I know I should have a bigger tank for him). I want to keep the pleco in ten gal instead of putting him in 5. But will he eat the 6 day old fry? Some are latched onto the walls. Would he suck them up?

Yeh it's the zebra danio ones. There are some little bitty green ones and red ones and orange ones. Some of the fry are clear and I'm assuming they are from a mix of the the colors and will come out to be regular danios

Here's the ten gallon they are in. The second picture is 6 days ago when they first hatched in the gravel. It was pretty cool to watch

Attachments

• image-3277242206.jpg
    image-3277242206.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1682482911.jpg
    image-1682482911.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 113
That is cool. Aren't you more afraid of that filter sucking up the fry than a pleco?

You should put a sponge prefilter or wrap some pantyhose on it or some type of fry proof netting I've seen on Ebay.

Anyway, congrats and good luck!

Nah that filter Isn't on. I got a sponge filter running. Currently waiting on a little bit bigger sponge filter.
See the sponge filter in the left tank in the middle?

Attachments

• image-3523830503.jpg
    image-3523830503.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 90
Nah that filter Isn't on. I got a sponge filter running. Currently waiting on a little bit bigger sponge filter.
See the sponge filter in the left tank in the middle?

Wait do you not have ur angelfish anymore? I like the side by side thing.

Ah, i see.. How come the fry get the larger tank than the adults? Lol

And, i hope the pleco you got isn't a common pleco. Those guys get like a foot long. Even the smaller ones like bristlenose have huge bioloads. The sponge filter won't be able to keep up and water quality will drop quick..this of course can be detrimental to the survival of your new fry.

Ah, i see.. How come the fry get the larger tank than the adults? Lol

And, i hope the pleco you got isn't a common pleco. Those guys get like a foot long. Even the smaller ones like bristlenose have huge bioloads. The sponge filter won't be able to keep up and water quality will drop quick..this of course can be detrimental to the survival of your new fry.

From pictures it looks like a common pleco. And hes another person that got talked into buying fish way too big for their tank.

Oh no.. When and where did you buy the pleco? I'd call and speak to the manager for a return. Maybe exchange it for some otos.

Most would then argue the zebra danios would do best in a 20g minimum because they are active swimmers. But at the very least, I'd move them to the 10g because looks bigger than the other tank (which is what size?).

Yeh he is. I got him from petco of course. They don't care that at the time when I got into aquariums I had just walked out with a 5 gallon. But yeh I am soon going to rehome him into my bros 20 gallon. Then after a few months when I get my 55g or 75g he will go in there.

Silly, the angels are at my girlfriends house in her 10 gallon. They will also be rehomed when I get a larger tank. After being on this forum for about a month and reading all the articles I've learned a rediculous amount that would have saved me so much trouble. This breeding stuff and my fry was a complete surprise and I'm still learning what to do with them. That's why I now have this 10 gallon. It's almost done cycling I think because I seeded it. But I'm going to hate to do water changes with the fry in there possibly getting sucked up. And I don't like the idea of doing fish in cycle with fry.

Brian, I had to put the fry in the larger tank because for 5 days I had no filtration in that 5 gallon because they were getting sucked up. Just before the my hatched I added to live plants and idk what did it but I had an explosion of detritus. I mean I had hundreds of worms in there. The water quality was horrible. I put adults in bucket, netted and moved fry to 10g, then cleaned and now doing a fish in cycle in an overstocked 5 gallon. Big mess : /

Yeah well at least you've been doing your research and it sounds like you have it under control. I like that you have a larger tank in the works. Keep it up :)

Thanks! Yes I've been doing loads of research. Yesterday, before I decided to tear down my 5 gallon and throw away the plants, I had bought 3 cities to go in the 5 gallon with fry to eat the worms. Then I decided it was too bad a situation after I tested the water. So now I have an even bigger bioload and I don't feel like going all the way back to petco to return cories but might have to. I wanted to split up the cories from the pleco into these two tanks. But I don't know if either would eat the fry or not.

Back
Top Bottom