Will Some Kind of "Prefilter" Work for my AquaClear 110 "Bubble Sucking" Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will Some Kind of "Prefilter" Work for my AquaClear 110 "Bubble Sucking" Problem?

Okay, so torrents of bubbles from one of my 18" bars at the back of the tank continue to cascade into, and be sucked up by, my AquaClear 110's intake pipe/strainer (and I realize this should eventually do some kind of naughty stuff to its impeller), and thus I am getting that continuous, droning, annoying "box full of rocks" noise from the 110 as it cuts the bubbles into microbubbles and unhouses/unseats the impeller...it is beyond annoying even sitting feet from the tank looking at it in our recliners, but due to the layout of the tank and what I was trying to accomplish with the "bubble curtain" in the back, these bars just can't work anywhere else but along the back glass, unfortunately putting one of them directly under the 110's intake strainer...

Here's my question -- would some kind of "prefilter" that I keep hearing about, which primarily keeps small fish from being sucked against the strainer, work to relieve this bubble chopping issue? If I were to add some kind of prefilter onto the AquaClear's intake strainer, would this eliminate some of the bubbles getting sucked up into it? If not, is there something else I can try such as putting a mound of substrate on that one spot of the bubble bar to block the bubbles from being sucked up?

If the prefilter could work, where would I find one and how do these install exactly? I have no experience with them...

:thanks: everyone, in advance...

I had read, on another forum, that perhaps removing the bubble bar and adding some kind of tape to the area that sits beneath the filter intake to "block" the bubbles coming from that area could work...

Any thoughts? Would "tape" leech some kind of unwanted toxins into the water?

The only thing that will work would be to remove the bubble flow from beneath the intake. The tape is a great idea. Use electrical tape and you shouldn't have a problem. You could also remove the bar let dry and silicone the area you want to have no bubbles.

Hope this helps!!

The only thing that will work would be to remove the bubble flow from beneath the intake. The tape is a great idea. Use electrical tape and you shouldn't have a problem. You could also remove the bar let dry and silicone the area you want to have no bubbles.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks, phish...

But I don't understand one element of your answer -- you say that the ONLY thing that would work would be to remove the bubble flow from beneath the intake, but then you say the TAPE COULD work...

Can you clarify that?

I will consider the silicone as well, though I don't trust myself to hammer a nail into a piece of wood correctly......:rolleyes:

If you tape the area of the bar under the intake it will effectively remove the bubble flow from under the intake. Does that make sense?

If you tape the area of the bar under the intake it will effectively remove the bubble flow from under the intake. Does that make sense?

Yes, I see what you're saying now -- taping off the area would essentially stop the bubbles from hitting the intake...thanks! (y)

You don't think that my initial idea for the thread, using some kind of "prefilter" material on the intake strainer, would work?

I think It would slow the air buildup in the intake down a bit but the suction would still pull any bubbles that happened to stick or cling to the pre filter in. The tape or silicone would be a more permeant fix and be one less thing you have to worry about.

I think It would slow the air buildup in the intake down a bit but the suction would still pull any bubbles that happened to stick or cling to the pre filter in. The tape or silicone would be a more permeant fix and be one less thing you have to worry about.

Understood; let me take that into consideration...thanks for all your help.

On the subject of prefilters, what exactly are these made of, and how are they applied to an intake pipe? Do you have any links to pics of these?

Here is a goggle image search for you. Most are foam but people use all kinds of stuff. Pantyhose, sock etc.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...bBpTJ4AOb9oCQDw&ved=0CDsQBSgA&biw=320&bih=416

Hope it helps!

Thank you! That has indeed helped!

You know, looking over many of the images in that link, I came across this one, the Fluval prefilter that slips over the 110's intake:

Rock or Sand? • Cichlid-Forum

And it seems to me this could possibly work in my situation -- that is, it could effectively block the bubbles coming up into the intake based on the thick-ish foam material; what do you think?

It's worth a shot! Like I said it will definitely slow the build up of air in the intake and its the easiest/ quickest fix. If it doesn't work. You have the other ideas to fall back on.

Thank you very much, phish -- your assistance is appreciated.

Do you think it will at least cut down on some of the "racket" and ridiculously annoying noise being caused by the air going up into the impeller?

That will depend on the micron you chose for the prefilter. You would want a higher micron or more pours foam but if you go to pours then more air bubbles will get thru. You will also have to clean debris off of it in your weekly maintenance. I have them on my fry/RCS tank filters which is planted. I have to clean mine about every three days.

That will depend on the micron you chose for the prefilter. You would want a higher micron or more pours foam but if you go to pours then more air bubbles will get thru. You will also have to clean debris off of it in your weekly maintenance. I have them on my fry/RCS tank filters which is planted. I have to clean mine about every three days.

Hmmmmmm.....as opposed to the "standard" stock plastic strainer which sucks pretty much everything up, no?

I agree and just to add. If you try the prefilter sponge, if you still find your getting bubbles, you could always put some pantyhose on the pipe first and then the sponge over it. I'm not sure if it would make any difference, but it's worth a try and it's cheap. Make sure you use brand new pantyhose, cheap ones will do. This will slow your flow, not much though....

I agree and just to add. If you try the prefilter sponge, if you still find your getting bubbles, you could always put some pantyhose on the pipe first and then the sponge over it. I'm not sure if it would make any difference, but it's worth a try and it's cheap. Make sure you use brand new pantyhose, cheap ones will do. This will slow your flow, not much though....

Thanks, Ian...

But would this "doubling up" on the prefiltering really restrict debris pickup, which is the point of the filter in the first place?

Thanks, Ian...

But would this "doubling up" on the prefiltering really restrict debris pickup, which is the point of the filter in the first place?
It would, but so will using just the sponge without the pantyhose. As Phishfriend said, the sponge will have to be cleaned probably every week. Sucking up air is restricting the performance of the filter anyway....

Back
Top Bottom