Will these plants go with these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello! I have a 55 gallon and I am getting plants!

After looking at multiple, these are the plants I am looking at! I am wondering if my current stock will work with these plants!

And I know these plants are of all different levels of light and pH and stuff. I am just looking to eliminate any strict no-no's with my current stock.

I have...
Angelfish
An Oscar
Cory cat (temporary - getting more OR rehoming)
Ghost glass catfish
Mollies
Red tailed shark
Female beta
Red eye tetras
Ghost shrimp
Mystery snails

Here is the list of plants I like:
Amazon sword
Anubias Lanceolata
Blyxa Japonica
Broad Leaf Amazon Sword
Java Fern
Water Lettuce
Salicifolia Hygrophila
Star Grass
Willow Hygro
Anubias Nana
Moss Balls

Special thanks to Roydooms for his list of plants! It's where I found all the plants I like!

Also, suggestions are welcome, but I am EXTREMELY picky on my plants. I like green colors only, and I like nice normal leaves (not edgy or crazy looking, just nice broad leaves)
Also, not the biggest fan of floating plants, but I'm open to pretty looking ones. So far water lettuce is what I really really love. Please please PLEASE attach a picture if you can!

Thanks!

Yeah you'll be fine with the plants but with a retail shark an angel and an Oscar in the same tank you're asking for a disaster. Also the Oscar will son need re homed. I don't know if you already were planning on re homing the Oscar but I just wanted to let you know. Hope that this helps!:)

Yah that should work...but you will definitely need to rehome the Oscar

Alright thanks! I just wanted to make sure the fish wouldn't tear any of those to shreds. I am able to rehome any fish to a friend if need be until I get more tanks. I have plans for all of my fish when the time comes to start switching around! I would now but...parents.... :eyeroll:
I will be moving in a year though :) so that's when I'll be jumping from one to like.....a bazillion :p

In a well-maintained tank oscars can grow as fast as an inch a month, so it could be very large pretty quickly.

Aside from that some of my other favorite green colored plants are java fern "Philippine," crypt lutea and crypt parva, Hemianthus micranthemoides ("regular" baby tears), Hygrophila corymbosa Kompakt, Staurogyne repens, and downoi.

Much however will depend on your lighting, ferts, and carbon source/pressurized CO2. There are quite a few beautiful green plants if you decide to go low tech.

Just a note on the water lettuce. I am not sure what type of light you have but they require high light. They will also completely take over your tank blocking any light for the rest of your plants. There is no such thing as 'dwarf' water lettuce but thankfully, it stays quite small in tanks (quarter size or less).

Back
Top Bottom