Windelov Java is not thriving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahelmes71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have what is probably considered a "low light" (Marineland Double-bright LEDs) tank. I have Amazon and Melon sword, Java fern, two kinds of anubias, some hair grass, and an onion plant that are all doing pretty well.

Oddly, my Windelov Java is not doing much at all. It is just kind of a scrawny little thing that hasn't shown much growth since I got it. In contrast, my other regular Javas are huge and thriving as is the tendency of that easy plant.

I was looking at some other posts on windelov (or maybe java ferns in general) that said it needs to be anchored to rocks or driftwood, not planted. Mine is in the substrate. Should I change that first and try to attach it to driftwood? I didn't know Javas had to be out of the substrate.

I am also dosing Excel and Flourish, as well as using root tabs, so the failure of this one plant to do anything in an otherwise healthy planted tank is puzzling. :banghead:

I have Windelov and it is the one plant that drives me nuts. It won't grow, then grows like crazy, the shrinks, not truely melts but just gets smaller, then grows... you get the picture. I have no problems with other plants but this one for me is just fussy. You do need to move it out of the substrate and you might have better results with it. Here's a picture of mine...

Attachments

• tank 10.jpg
    tank 10.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 115
Thanks for the info. I just commented on your great-looking tank on somebody else's post. I figured anything in the java fern family would be a no-brainer but I guess it is a little more temperamental.

Thanks for the info. I just commented on your great-looking tank on somebody else's post. I figured anything in the java fern family would be a no-brainer but I guess it is a little more temperamental.

I love how it looks and it's texture but won't mess with it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom