Wisteria question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know what kind of wisteria this is but it goes like crazy.

I have had it for about a week now and all these white root things are growing off all of them all up and down.

I was told I could pluck them off and replant them. My question is when do I pluck and replant them? When they turn a green color?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sunny my sword tail with the photo bomb. You can see those roots sprouting off

Attachments

• 1474233931351.jpg
    1474233931351.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 75
Hygrophillia deforms
I have not heard of just replanting the roots, but you can trim (cut a portion off the top) and replant that. Trimming them also makes them grow fuller

Trimming the top or trimming the white stringy things

Trimming the top or trimming the white stringy things

Trim the tops. I pull the bottom out and just replant the tops to keep the growth manageable. You can cut the side shoots off if you want. Makes no difference if the plant has everything it needs it will grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They have one like that at the LBS. It's actually a bunch that they trimmed to make it look like a big tree.

I just replanted a top that I clipped off and within a week it went from basically no stem cause I trimmed it terribly to now it's almost 2 inches tall. It also receives high light and co2 though

Quick question.

After I clipped the tops, some of my wisteria don't seem to be healing themselves. Is this common or non fixable?

They have nodes (little bumps) on the stem where they would normally break off. If you trimmed it in an area that is not the node, the stem will often die off to the node, at least in My experience with wisteria.

You're right. I looked this morning and it's growing back out of the top where I clipped it. So far so good. I jumped the gun on the question.

I just learned that a single stalk of wisteria can be put on its side on top of the substrate and it will root well and create a carpet effect. So I tried it! Just yesterday in fact. Plus I had a piece break off the was floating a couple days before my last water change. It was just one leaf and a few root sprouts. So I stuck it in the rocks thinking what would it hurt. Not that is doing well and growing fast. The stalk I had to weigh it down and already it has sprouted new roots and new leaves on the side of the thing. So depending on the look you want. You have lots of options with wisteria! I'm kinda liking mine. I had previously thought it was going to die after a rookie mistake I made and forgot to rinse my carbon in my filter. Ended up with carbon covered everything. Lol but I live and I learn.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since I've made this thread, I've trimmed my tips and replanted in my 10 and 5 gallon twice already. I have mini jungles in all my tanks. Now my tops I've trimmed, have tops

Back
Top Bottom