With some bad comes some good!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samram0829

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought two new male guppies (I shouldn't even say bought more like tried to rescue) from walmart 2 days ago. One took a turn for the worse and died last night and now my other one is not doing so well :(. I started treating them with melafix cause the lyretail has a few tears on his tail. Fingers crossed he makes it! On the plus side I am trading My 20 gallon high for a 30 or 40 gallon (not 100% sure which size it is yet.) So I'm stoked about getting a bigger tank! Also sometime during the week I'm gunna be temporarily fostering a tank for a friend!
Oh And i almost forgot i also got some aquatic moss yesterday (not sure what kind looks like java) I have become a fish fanatic! I started out with 5 fish and now I have 16 and counting cause 3 of my females are going to be giving birth soon!!
UPDATE: my lyretail died :(

Sorry about the guppies. It's hard to save fish from PetCo or PetSmart or any lithe brig box stores that don't care about their fish, it happens. Congrats on hopefully getting a new tank soon, make sure you make a build thread.

Sorry about the guppies. It's hard to save fish from PetCo or PetSmart or any lithe brig box stores that don't care about their fish, it happens. Congrats on hopefully getting a new tank soon, make sure you make a build thread.

I disagree nils. Sure some of the big box stores tanks are in worse shape than others, but there is no reason these fish can't be purchased. Around 50% of my fish come from pet smart or Petco and I very rarely have deaths from them.

In fact I know the exact purchasing channels my local Petco uses because I sold to them and order through them, its exactly where I (and many of you) would source the fish from privately.

My only real reason for mentioning this is way too often lately I'm seeing tanks have 5-10 fish die off at a time and blaming poor stock. The stock from these stores is no different than any other LFS.

I disagree nils. Sure some of the big box stores tanks are in worse shape than others, but there is no reason these fish can't be purchased. Around 50% of my fish come from pet smart or Petco and I very rarely have deaths from them.

In fact I know the exact purchasing channels my local Petco uses because I sold to them and order through them, its exactly where I (and many of you) would source the fish from privately.

My only real reason for mentioning this is way too often lately I'm seeing tanks have 5-10 fish die off at a time and blaming poor stock. The stock from these stores is no different than any other LFS.

I agree. My healthiest fish all come from Petsmart. Beautiful, healthy fish. Just know how to pick them, since they have a lot of them. They are bound to have a sick one. My local little fish store is overpriced and their fish don't look as good.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've yet to lose a fish purchased from Petsmart. Walmart fish is usually a different story as they are cared for the same as petsmart/Petco, but I don't buy from there

I believe this is where so many of them come from segrestfarms. Handling and acclimation also make a big difference.

Sorry to hear about the fish. I got columnaris from a "good" private lfs. Using common sense and observing hte fish will help and not buying fish out of a sick tank.
and knowing what you might be getting into when buying or taking in a "rescue".

I ended up not trading my tank I decided to keep my 20 high. I did set up My 10 gallon tank that I started out with and I put the moss in there and kind of aquascaped it and played around with it so we'll see how that grows! I bought some Ghost shrimp and a blue Mystery snail for the 10 gallon and one mY shrimp had babies already I know the chances of them surviving aren't high but it still exciting To me :) also in my 20g one of my guppies had babies tonight! I didn't get to watch :( but I love seeing fry swimming around. I will probably not buy fish from walmart ever again but all the fish i seem to have gotten from petco and petsmart seem to be very healthy thus far. There is a local fish store in my area but they are wayyyyy over priced and i personally think that petsmart/petco have way prettier and healthier looking fish.

What is a build thread? I'm kind of new to the site.

A build thread is typically a thread one dedicates to a particular setup (tank, pond, fish room, terrarium, etc), piece of equipment, or species. For example, you can start a thread called "Samram's 10 gallon Shrimp Tank" and post updates, pics, questions, and progress there. Some threads have thousands of posts and span multiple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom