Woke up this morning to dead fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All related to the fish? If so your water municipality may have added a new chemical to the water supply and it could have been introduced to all of your tanks. :nono:

Thanks but not to be mean or anything but I would appreciate you not commenting on any of my posts anymore. I don't appreciate your "advise" 90 percent of the time so please stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you have small children? It sounds like poisoning to me. Something may have been "added." As Andy indicated, the state of the gills might yield some info.

We don't have any kids just dogs and fish

I assume you use RO/DI and that should have isolated you from any changes in the city water supply.

If it was stray electricity, you would probably feel that when immersing your hand in the tank. It would need to be pretty strong to effect the fish as they have nothing tying them to a ground source.

It could be a pathogen, but most of them would leave visible signs like inflamed gills or scale damage.

Food source should also be looked at. A 02 crash could suffocate the fish and leave the corals alone for short periods. But you would see that in their extended gills.

A toxin like hand lotion or soap could raise havoc. Those are all the ideas I have to share. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you I never thought of hand lotion.

Organic soap is a good idea and wash up as far as is going into the water. Rinse well. Soap , lotion, suntan lotion, deodorant, etc can all cause problems.

That's great! You finally liked one of the guesses but nobody knows what really killed your fish. At least now you know that handling toxic material can kill your fish which were suggestef several times.

Probably not, but it would take noticeable voltage to kill fish and I do not hear any report of that.

I wear hand lotion all the time but none of my other tanks have been affected. What's the starfish toxin?

Ok thank you. It wasent that I did t like anyone's answers just nothing for very good

That starfish species is not really found in our tanks though. That's not the cause

No clue. If the op had a star like that then it's possible but I've never seen them for sale. Maybe it was some type of invertebrate toxin but I really don't know with the tiny bit of info we have.

Back
Top Bottom