Won two goldfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcourts

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Geez...go to a carnival at school and kids win two little goldfish. Had to set up another tank, so the husband will kill me when he gets back in town!! I have never done the goldfish thing. How low of a temp do they deal with and what size tank will these feeder goldfish need if they do live. Right now they are in my hospital tank!!

hcourts said:
Geez...go to a carnival at school and kids win two little goldfish. Had to set up another tank, so the husband will kill me when he gets back in town!! I have never done the goldfish thing. How low of a temp do they deal with and what size tank will these feeder goldfish need if they do live. Right now they are in my hospital tank!!

They'll need 85-100 gals, or a pond. They can probably do 68•

Ideally a pond or around 50gallons each will be needed if kept in a tank. they are most likely common goldfish which can reach a foot in length. How big are they now and how big is the hospital tank? They are also very messy so require massive amounts of filtration. They can survive temps of almost freezing in a deep pond.

Yeah they are those feeder goldfish that you see all the time and are alittle under an inch...I'm trying to get them to take em to our lfs and trade them on something else;) hopefully I will win...if not it may be a good time to start planning a pond for next year;)

Goldfish found a new home at my lfs:) kids think they passed away because they were in the bag too long at the carnival. I hate lying but they don't understand that they just can't go in our 55:(

Ahhhh I'm struggling with the same thing my sil had the brilliant idea to do the gold fish game at her work carnival and didn't get a tank for it. Now it's temp. Home is in my already over stocked 10 gallon while I wait for my 55g to cycle... Trying to decide what to do with it. It's about 3 1/2 inches I considered dropping it off in a local park pond.... Is that inhumane?

Ahhhh I'm struggling with the same thing my sil had the brilliant idea to do the gold fish game at her work carnival and didn't get a tank for it. Now it's temp. Home is in my already over stocked 10 gallon while I wait for my 55g to cycle... Trying to decide what to do with it. It's about 3 1/2 inches I considered dropping it off in a local park pond.... Is that inhumane?

You don't want to do that mostly because it can carry parasites and disease to local fish and secondly even if you knew someone with a pond that could take them it too cold for them to assimilate into the winter outside temps now. I know cause I'm in St.Louis too.

Rivercats said:
You don't want to do that mostly because it can carry parasites and disease to local fish and secondly even if you knew someone with a pond that could take them it too cold for them to assimilate into the winter outside temps now. I know cause I'm in St.Louis too.

I know... I could never do that. I think I need to see if petco will take it, petsmart won't and technically I'm in Arnold and there aren't any smaller fish stores close at all... I have a 55 gallon cycling but I didn't intend for its only inhabitant to be a future giant goldfish. Any suggestions fellow St.louisan?

Rivercats said:

Also any suggestions about where to buy fish local breeders ext. would be cool too. I joined a couple local aquarium groups on fb today, hoping to get some good info on those once I'm accepted...

In my experience (teaching for 12 years), kids can handle the truth better than we expect. Discovering a lie, on the other hand -- even a little one -- hurts more.

Yeah we have rowed this boat before. I explained to them that we couldn't put them in the 55 because they like cooler water and my 6 yo said that reddish(his betta in a 20g) does too so then we had I explain that they would get huge and he said when they did we could put them in granny's pond;) it was pretty much a no win situation and the last time this happened the fish made it a day and passed away from unknown illness. He then said he didn't know why I was worrying about that those kind die quick anyways. So...they went to pappows and the fish went to the store...and I told them they were getting new fish in the mail which they were and need to start thinking of names(2 peacock gudgeons;))

I know... I could never do that. I think I need to see if petco will take it, petsmart won't and technically I'm in Arnold and there aren't any smaller fish stores close at all... I have a 55 gallon cycling but I didn't intend for its only inhabitant to be a future giant goldfish. Any suggestions fellow St.louisan?

Suggestions for the goldfish??.... have you tried calling Tropical World of Pets on Watson (South County) or the Pond store in St.Chas off 94. There is also a Pond store on Watson (South County) and a Pond store right behind South County Plaza. They might take it. It's hard trying to rehome goldfish.

Most all our big/good fish places are closed now. Beldt's aquarium was the last to go a couple years ago. The fish store that has the most fish and plants is Aqua World on Gravois in the city. Tropical World is okay too but little in plants. We've also lost alot of pond places and the ones that are still around are very limited in what they have. This city isn't fish friendly much anymore.. sad but true. Back in the 80's and 90's there were tons of places, freshwater and saltwater. Saltwater here is non-exsistant, the couple dinky places left are pretty sad.

Suggestions for the goldfish??.... have you tried calling Tropical World of Pets on Watson (South County) or the Pond store in St.Chas off 94. There is also a Pond store on Watson (South County) and a Pond store right behind South County Plaza. They might take it. It's hard trying to rehome goldfish.

Most all our big/good fish places are closed now. Beldt's aquarium was the last to go a couple years ago. The fish store that has the most fish and plants is Aqua World on Gravois in the city. Tropical World is okay too but little in plants. We've also lost alot of pond places and the ones that are still around are very limited in what they have. This city isn't fish friendly much anymore.. sad but true. Back in the 80's and 90's there were tons of places, freshwater and saltwater. Saltwater here is non-exsistant, the couple dinky places left are pretty sad.

SORRY FOR HIGHJACKING AND GOING OFF TOPIC:facepalm:

Thanks I put the gold fish on craigslist and a couple who has 2 fancy golds and 2 baby koi adopted him :) he should be happy in their big tanks! yay for gold fish keepers in the jeffco area! I went to Tropical world and we not thrilled with there stocking and set ups, it wasnt to bad but there stocking on different fish was sort of random and sparse but im sure thats to be expected in the local owned businesses. I really liked aqua world and will probably give them my buisness, The guy working was really helpful and made me feel really comfortable with the idea of the super diverse tank Im hoping to put together. I will say though, I hate to say it... Being a little bit out side of the city making a trip to the smaller businesses and spending up to 3 times the cost of the big name stores for some of the more common fish stings a little, but I know its worth it.

Back
Top Bottom