wondering what would be good tank mates for my green mandarin and 3 blue hermits??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roryb24

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey i was wondering what would be good tank mates for my green mandarin and 3 blue hermits??

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 280
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 276
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 275
Considered a goby? I just got a fire fish goby and they are very active and great for nano reefs.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

I have a pair of clowns too, both do very well with my goby, and are all reef safe. They also are all good in smaller tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

a bunch of copepods for that mandarin who's going to starve if he doesn't eat prepared foods...

but the above suggestions have been good, firefish or a pair of clowns (ocellaris or percula only, other species get too big)

I alrdy put Copepods in. And yeah I think the pair of clowns is gonna be all I put in for fish and maybe a shrimp. But mostly coral now.

which size tank is it? i just assumed it was a biocube 14 or 29

and if you aren't adding copepods every 3 or so weeks he'll still eat them all and die, they aren't meant for small tanks like that when not trained on prepared foods

You will need to add pods EVERY DAY unless it's eating prepared foods. Mandarin's have a suggested minimum tank size of 100 gallons with at least that amount of LR for a reason. They will eat pods all day long and it takes a large tank with LOTS of LR and hopefully a refugium to keep the population growing fast enough.

I suggest taking the mandarin back to the lfs in exchange for something that can survive in your tank.

Many people have kept mandarins in there biocube14. I've seen and read many successful story's of it happing.

And there are none that don't eat prepared foods, if they say they ate only pods then they are lying or they have the tank hooked up to a larger system.

It's just simply not possible for a Biocube 14 to support a copepod population for a mandarin or scooter blenny to live on for any length of time. Once his belly starts to cave in you'll know he's in trouble.

Trust me, the mandarin is why I got into this hobby, and I have the same tank and I now know it's not possible to have one live a long happy life. I'm just making sure the fish will live well, and that you don't have to deal with the loss of such a beautiful fish

Sucks cuz I wanted one..

Me as well, I think they are the single most beautiful fish I have ever seen. But I'm not going to drop $100 on one that might eat prepared foods, and I certainly won't make one suffer in my small tank

iDreamInSaltwater said:
And there are none that don't eat prepared foods, if they say they ate only pods then they are lying or they have the tank hooked up to a larger system.

It's just simply not possible for a Biocube 14 to support a copepod population for a mandarin or scooter blenny to live on for any length of time. Once his belly starts to cave in you'll know he's in trouble.

Trust me, the mandarin is why I got into this hobby, and I have the same tank and I now know it's not possible to have one live a long happy life. I'm just making sure the fish will live well, and that you don't have to deal with the loss of such a beautiful fish

I can attest to that, having lost a mandarin for that very reason in a larger tank than yours. They are beautiful fish, but you really have to take care of them exactly right. I have a pair of very young ocellaris clowns, and they are great fish.

Ok man thank you. I'll talk to my LFS.
Remember to listen carefully for key words like "well, you can" or "some people have" those are the key words I listen for at my LFS the one further away "as long as your tank is 2 weeks old you can". After I ask them questions I come home and research to find out if what they are telling me is right. They are in the business to make money and I am in the business to have a beautiful tank I can show off.

I chalk the loss of my mandarin up to foolishly buying without researching. Lesson learned. Anyway, I also have 3 electric blue hermits in my tank and they are great! I also have dwarf red hermits and several snails on my CUC. Have you thought about finding some young ocellaris clowns and getting a couple that can become a mated pair? That's what I have as the centerpiece of my tank.

Back
Top Bottom