Woo-hoo! I think my tank is almost cycled...and a pH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odenata

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think I'm almost there! Looking forward to seeing some actual :fish2: :fish1: in the tank. Tested yesterday, ammo was about 1ppm, nitrites 5+ppm, nitrates 80ppm. Dosed ammo back up to 4ppm. This morning, ammo was 0ppm, nitrites and nitrates both were off the scale, so I did about a 50 - 60% water change and dosed the ammo again. Checked a few hours after the water change, and nitrites and nitrates still off the scale. My thought was to test in the morning and then do another pwc if the levels were still so high. Does that sound right? Am I close?

My pH has been consistently in the 8.0 range. Is that too high? What should I do if it is?

Again, thanks for all the help!

How long have the nitrites been high?
What were they after your water change (were they still 5+ or did they come down)?

I'd say you could leave it for a while and see what it does. You just did a water change so you don't need to do another. If you really want to, go for it, it won't hurt anything, but it isn't necessary.

What's your PH level? You want to keep an eye on that too b/c PH crashes are common during cycling and a large enough crash could stall the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom