wood tannins & nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loren

Aquarium Advice Regular
This weekend I took the seashells out of my tank(10g) and added a small piece of Mopani driftwood...my pH is 7.5 and although I know that's not really a big deal for the fish I have ( gourami and tetras), I thought I'd try to drop it naturally a bit if I could (this decision at the recommendation of my lfs). I soaked the wood for a day and a half in dechlorinated water to leach some of the tannins out. It still 'bleeds' and my tank has an eerie yellow tinge, but I'm getting used to it. What I'm wondering about now, is the nitrates. Before I added the wood, I tested, and they were 5ppm. One day later they were around 20ppm. I did a 10% water change today, and they're still between 10 and 20ppm. Is the wood causing the nitrate level to increase? btw, my NH3 barely registers. My pH is still 7.5

I would say the wood is contributing to the increase in your nitrate levels. Nitrates are the end result of organic and inorganic degradation: decaying excess food, feces, and dead plant and animal matter are converted to nitrates during the nitrification process. Those dissolved organics leaching from the wood are what's being detected with your tests. I wouldn't worry about the readings you're getting: many people have similar nitrate levels in their tap water! 8O Just continue to do your water changes. I'd be suprised if the levels didn't lower once the majority of the tanins and other organics stopped leaching into the water.

I'm curious as to why your lfs suggested lowering your water's pH? A 7.5 is perfectly fine for the vast majority of community fish (including your gouramis and tetras). Attempting to alter the pH of an aquarium is a tricky proposition at best, and fluctuating pH levels are far more stressful than not having the "ideal" levels for them.

Attempting to alter the pH of an aquarium is a tricky proposition at best, and fluctuating pH levels are far more stressful than not having the "ideal" levels for them.

That's why he suggested to lower naturally...losing the shells and adding the wood.

I'm curious as to why your lfs suggested lowering your water's pH? A 7.5 is perfectly fine for the vast majority of community fish (including your gouramis and tetras)

Well, maybe he just saw me coming and knew he could increase his sales? He also suggested that some live plants might help with the nitrates, but my gravel is too course, and I'm not about overhaul this tank yet. I'll just keep my eye on it then, and I can always take the wood out if it doesn't work out.
Thanks.

Hiya Loren,

The increase of you nitrates are probably down to your piece of Mopani Wood as Voodoo said. You said about the colouration in your water, it doesn't matter how much you soak the mopani it will still leach out the tanin. With your regular water changes this will remove some of the colouration. If you have carbon in your system this will remove some as well.

Your lfs ( in his defence ) was right about taking the shell out because over time that would slowly increase your chemistry of the water as shell releases calcium into the water and would make it harder, but with the ph that you have at the moment it is fine so you didn't really need to put the Mopani in. But IMO it does give a great effect in the aquarium, and if you have a pleco it will love the wood to graze on.

Time heals this problem. Just keep it in and wait. If its small you can boil it. But it will level off and benifit you more than it hurts you.

I must be one of the few aquarists that actually like the blackwater look! :wink:

If you'd like to try live plants, get a few java ferns and secure them to the driftwood with rubber bands. In a few weeks, the ferns will have anchored themselves to the wood and the rubber bands can be removed. You won't have to worry about the coarse gravel or uprooting them while doing tank maintenance- and best of all-- java ferns are darn near indestructable! They'll grow in almost any water and light conditions.

I like the black water look! I like a light tan coloring not much more. I add peat once in awhile to get the effect.

Your lfs ( in his defence ) was right about taking the shell out because over time that would slowly increase your chemistry of the water as shell releases calcium into the water and would make it harder, but with the ph that you have at the moment it is fine so you didn't really need to put the Mopani in. But IMO it does give a great effect in the aquarium, and if you have a pleco it will love the wood to graze on.

Sorry Terry, I'm not against lfs sales guys. Actually, this fellow, and his boss are very knowledgeable and eager to share info. They've been really good to me...but everyone has to make a living! He did also suggest I keep charcoal in my filter, so I put a fresh one in yesterday. I also removed a fake piece of wood to accomodate the real one, and I agree, the appearance is awesome. I don't really like fake plants and rocks.

If you'd like to try live plants, get a few java ferns

I'm going to check into that for sure! Thanks. I only have incandescent lighting, though; are they really that hardy?

Thanks everyone for advice and opinions...I'd be lost without you! I love this site! :rainbow1:

Java ferns should be fine with any light. Mine seem fine with the original light hood and light, and it is not the best light for anything!

I am convinced Java Fern would grow in pitch-black darkness. One of my all time favorite plants.

Thank you. I just looked up the java fern, and the source said it actually prefers low light. Wow, I can have a plant! Will I be okay with just adding the plant for now? I'm just starting to read about aquatic plants, and have glimpsed something about CO2 injecters? One little plant isn't going to get me into a major investment right off the bat, is it?

Java ferns are completely maintenance free. No CO2, fertilizers, or special lighting needed. This make it my favorite plant (next to java moss) because I have terrible luck with aquatic plants.

Get yourself a couple of rubber bands and attach the fern to your driftwood. After a few weeks (although it may take a bit longer) the fern will have "grabbed" onto the wood and the bands can be removed. If the water conditions are really good, you'll probably start to see baby ferns forming on the leaves: free plants! :D

many people have similar nitrate levels in their tap water!

LOL! That's my tap water, 20ppm nitrates. Don't be so shocked. You'd be suprised to find out what is used to fertilize the food you eat. It's either real or synthetic decaying organic matter. For my garden, it's aquarium water and old duck bedding :lol: For large scale farming, sometimes it's even processed sewage. So if you live in an agricultural area and have a well, well, the aquarium isn't the only place you keep a charcoal filter. The grass is always greener downhill from the septic tank :mrgreen:

Anyhoo. . . I prefer to use fishing line when tying down plants, just b/c it's almost invisible. And why stop at one java fern? You're tank can handle alot more plants. There are plenty of plants that can prosper in low light, no CO2 and w/o fertilization. The only thing I add beyond what light came with the hood are fertilizer tabs w/ iron, and my plants are nice and green, and my amazon sword keeps putting out new plantlets. Most online plant stores will list plants that don't need much maintenance.

I've got Amazons, java fern, elodea and jungle val. The jungle val is new, so we'll see how it fares, but the rest are doing great.

8O Well, that's just yummy...thanks fer sharin' Crow! LOL Cool idea to use aquarium water in the garden...I'm going to try that next summer. Not in my pick'n'eat garden, though. :yum:

Regards to plants...I have just your basic 'big lump' gravel in my tank...don't I need a finer gravel to have plants? If so, can I add some to my tank safely...I gather I'd have to put the fish in a bucket to keep them out of harms way.

Issue is already covered, but I thought I'd just mention that most tetras do live in water with a slightly to very acidic pH. Neons prefer a pH from 5-7, and Cardinals prefer it even more acidic, about 4.6-6.5. Not difficult to believe when you hear that water in bogs can be as acidic as >3!!! That's really low! Your LFS owner is right that a lower pH will be more realistic for your fish. Will they show any change, truly appreciate it? I dunno. I like to make my tanks as close to real as possible for my guys, so I usually lower the pH a little with wood or a buffer solution.

When I first got neons, I freaked out about pH and temp (they appreciate a colder-than normal temperature, too). In truth, that wasn't really stressing them. Most dealers keep the fish at 7, so if you put them in a 6 tank, you're changing their environment once again. The only reason to take the pH way down is that you may be able to breed them. They require a lower pH and a very low hardness (1-2) when breeding.

excessive nitrates and phosphates

I have a completely natural 55 gallon aquarium, live plants, flourite undergravel heater, 6500K flourescent bulbs and mopani wood. I am having a devil of a time with excessively high nitrates and phosphates. I have tried everything. phosphate removers, nitrate removers, multiple repeated waterchanges and NOTHING toughes these levels. I am now getting a green blanket algae that forms over night on everything in the tank, and a hairy form on the edges of all the plant leaves and filter parts. Just last night I did an 18 gallon water change with all distilled water (no phosphates or nitrates) and this morning the levels were unaffected. Could the multiple pieces of Mopani wood be causing this. I pre-soaked them, and they have been in the tank now for almost 2 years. All other levels are perfect, the water is crystal clear and the fish are happy and healthy. but I am spending alot of money replacing plants. any advice.....

Back
Top Bottom