Woodstove & fish tank - recipe for disaster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sooju

Aquarium Advice Freak
My new fish tank is in my family room, as is my ceramic tile woodstove. I just moved in two months ago so I have no idea what kind of heat this stove is capable of kicking off, but I'd like to try to save some on heating this winter by using it to heat the first floor of my house. Has anyone had luck with rigging a fan to run while a wood stove is on to use evaporative cooling? Is that enough? Do I need a chiller?

evaporative cooling is usually good for 10 degrees or so, you just have to keep up with the water changes.
I'm not sure the specs of your tank, but a remote sump would also help you, by piping the water away from the warm area and back again, it will help keep things cooler.

You can also have a pot of water on the stove to help lessen the evaporation from your tank.....

I agree the pot (or in our case 15g tub) is need on a wood stove. They generate very dry heat.

I heat solely with a wood stove. My stove is enclosed in it's own room with duct work through the house but the basement does get to about 85 during the winter. The only solution I have come up with is a lot of exposed moving water and fans. I have a harder time keeping my tank warm in the summer then I do in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom