woot ready to inject diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vromanowski

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
before i make a batch, i was wondering if by putting the diffuser/airstone directly under the intake of my HOB filter will help diffuse the CO2 even more?
Also, is my HOB filter going to agitate the surface too much and let too much CO2 escape? I've read that this is a concern but I'm hoping it's negligable.

and this is probably a dumb question but when putting root tabs in the substrate, how deep? and does each plant need a tab directly under/next to it? or do the nutrients dissolve into the water and reach every plant?

thankyou in advance, and thankyou for all the questions you guys have already answered.

Putting the diffuser under the intake will help chop up the bubbles and get them dissolved, so it is a good idea. It will, however, make the impeller on your HOB noisy as it eats the bubbles, and probably add a little wearout to the motor unit.

Since you have a HOB, you're going to want to keep the water level in the tank as high as you can safely. This is to minimize the agitation. Breaking of the water will cause your CO2 to offgas, which defeats the purpose of injecting it. If you keep the water level high, there's little agitation and so you won't lose much during that process.

Root tabs - I never really paid attention, I just kinda push them under the roots somewhere. The roots will find the nutrients.

Yep keep the water level as high as possible to reduce splashing and off gassing. Also a 2" piece of a Bamboo Chopstick makes a great diffuser for DIY.

For root tabs if you are using them with Swords or other heavy root feeders you should place them under the plants. For otehr parts of the tank with stems placing them in 4 to 6 inch grid patterns will suffice as most stems take most of there nutirents fro mteh water column.

Craig

I did the DIY into the HOB for a while and had mixed results (on my 20 gallon). It's definitely annoying if you are near it, my wife HATED it since the tanks in our office. Also because it's going into the HOB my hunch is that while the diffusion is good, quite a bit is being lost as it comes out of the filter (even with the water level high).

What I ended up doing was getting a power head (PH) and using that in the same way as the HOB. Since it's completely submerged you can barely hear the chopping of the bubbles, and since I keep it near the bottom of the tank the CO2 bubbles have a long time before they reach the surface. A fine airstone along with the PH creates microbubbles that float VERY slowly to the surface giving the best chance for the CO2 dissolving in the water. Check out the first pic in my sig. The PH is in the bottom right-hand corner. I purposely keep it hidden behind an anubias and some driftwood.

I did the DIY into the HOB for a while and had mixed results (on my 20 gallon). It's definitely annoying if you are near it, my wife HATED it since the tanks in our office. Also because it's going into the HOB my hunch is that while the diffusion is good, quite a bit is being lost as it comes out of the filter (even with the water level high).

What I ended up doing was getting a power head (PH) and using that in the same way as the HOB. Since it's completely submerged you can barely hear the chopping of the bubbles, and since I keep it near the bottom of the tank the CO2 bubbles have a long time before they reach the surface. A fine airstone along with the PH creates microbubbles that float VERY slowly to the surface giving the best chance for the CO2 dissolving in the water. Check out the first pic in my sig. The PH is in the bottom right-hand corner. I purposely keep it hidden behind an anubias and some driftwood.

Looks good, on that note for a small internal powerhead teh Hagen Mini Elite makes a great way to disperse CO2 into a tank. Best part is its nice and small.

I've gone back to my tried and true external PVC reactors for my new tank as I didn't want any equipment in the tank. They look great built out of clear pvc so you can watch the bubbles if disperse in the water. My modified regulator should be at the post office in abit and I'll post acouple of pictures here of it once it comes in.

Craig

You mentioned the regulator in the other thread. I'd be interested in seeing some pictures. I had mine built (pseudo-custom) by Rex Grigg and I'm pretty sure it uses all Clippard parts which are nice quality. I think my regulator, low pressure regulator, needle valve, electronic solenoid piece was ~$150 shipped.

You mentioned the regulator in the other thread. I'd be interested in seeing some pictures. I had mine built (pseudo-custom) by Rex Grigg and I'm pretty sure it uses all Clippard parts which are nice quality. I think my regulator, low pressure regulator, needle valve, electronic solenoid piece was ~$150 shipped.

I'm hooking it up now. I've had 2 Rex Griggs regulators and they were very nice. My new one is built by Orlando over at greenleafaquariums.com. He has since stopped using most of the clippard parts as they are now made in china, Orlando has all his parts custom made for him. I'll start a new thread about my regualtor in jsut abit need to get it running and a few more pictures.

PS if you want a Perma Seal let me know I have a spare I may sell paid $5 for it and the shipping would only probably be a bubble envelope and what ever shipping costs.

Craig

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom