worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i need help with the ID of a centimeter long white worm swimming around my tank.... i cant catch it because its hidden somewhere as soon as i got my skimming net... looked like the worm had a mouth at one end

Most worms have a mouth at one end ;)

Any chance you could get a pic of it? Might help with an actual ID of what you have. Worms aren't too common in FW setups, so I would recommend removal if you can catch it. You don't want it breeding or producing more. I have seen some pretty horror story type pics of thousands of worms at the bottom of a FW tank...

it is some type of nematode i think i have been feeding my growing fish alot i am going to start feeding a bit less and cleaning the new tank more... it was swimming in an "s" shape but it was pretty thick bodied like more than i would have thought... i hope i identified it correctly... are their any parasites that do this?

Does it undulate like a snake when it swims? Its possibly a leech. You need to catch one & examine it & get a pic to help id it. If you start moving the gravel around & picking up decor, you may find more hiding underneath everything.

just did some research

i have found that leeches are attracted to garlic.. the last time i saw that darn little leech was when i sprinkled some garlic on my fish food... now i have done it again and 2 little baby leeches came out from somewhere in the tank and were free swimming like snakes... guys i really need your help with this one they are so tiny and i am freaking out

I dont think you want to know what I went through dealing with this awful things but Ill post a link to my leech threads. That said, supposively there are some freshwater leeches that are not harmful to fish- I am not sure how your supposed to figure out which are ok and which are bad other than waiting to find one sucking on your fish.... There is a product made by Hikari called Cyropro thats effective against anchor worms- I suspect it may work against leeches as well but it will need to be used for awhile because the leech eggs are not killed by ANYTHING including bleach.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/what-is-this-187475.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/leeches-195729.html

Back
Top Bottom