Worms/Centipedes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am pretty sure I've seen these before (I think someone posted a link to a huge page with pictures of like every possible hitchhiker but I can't find it now!! argh! [not the sticky])

Anyway, I was just looking under my moonlights and I have a little clear/white worm thing, and it must be at least 2.5" long but very thin. It comes out of the live rock and moves around. There's also what appears to be a thicker one coming out where my star polyps are. Are these things good/bad?

I also have a bunch of 1/4" or so centipedes. I see them scurrying around the liverock. They appear to also be clear/white, but who knows as I can only see them with moonlight.

I just read about the 7' worm on oregonreef so I'm a little worried!

The oregon reef worm (Eunicid worm native to the Fiji) was due to hitchhiker on his LR from Fiji. It got so big cause it had a great hiding spot and lots of food.

I'm "pretty sure" you have red with white tentacles (Bristle worms) and those other long very thin items that come out of the LR are most likely peanut worms.

BUT, I'm taking some educated guesses here w/o seeing some pix. Did you post some? I just posted a sample of the peanut worm

Attachments

• sipunculids2_818.gif
    sipunculids2_818.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 270
dscount said:
The oregon reef worm (Eunicid worm native to the Fiji) was due to hitchhiker on his LR from Fiji. It got so big cause it had a great hiding spot and lots of food.

I'm "pretty sure" you have red with white tentacles (Bristle worms) and those other long very thin items that come out of the LR are most likely peanut worms.

BUT, I'm taking some educated guesses here w/o seeing some pix. Did you post some? I just posted a sample of the peanut worm

The worm that comes out from the rock is very very thin, and it can extend up to 3" out (farthest I've seen)... but could be less I'm not so great at measuring. I've also never seen the other end of it. It's impossible to take a picture because they only come out in the dark. The little bugs may not be centipedes as it's hard to see them, but I've never seen anything in the daytime.

Could be a spagetti worm, the centipedes sound like bristleworms.

Your second post says bugs, I'm guessing these are pods. Amphipods and/or copepods.

Nothing I'd be overly concerned about.

Well, I've looked closer and a lot of them seem to be bugs, and not centipedes. I guess they're those good things.

I also saw a white thing floating around, and when it hit a rock and stuck, I saw it's a little starfish!! I have no idea how it got into my tank, but it's cool. Can those tiny starfish (like .5inch from tip to tip) grow bigger into real starfish?

Not sure. I've got a few of them myself. They never seem to get too big. Most of them are hitchhikers on the rock.

That sounds like a possible an asterina star....
Any chance you can get a pic?

Back
Top Bottom