"Worms" in Live Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FloridaFinFan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could someone please tell me what the wormlike growths are in Live Sand? They are visible growing just inside the glass.I know they're benifical,but I don't know exactly what they are and what they do.
Thank you. :)

Do you have a picture of it to help ID it? It could be feather dusters or it could be bristle worms. If they are feather dusters then they are filter feeders. I'm not too sure about the bristle worms but from what I've heard they aren't of any threat.

Definitely get a few pics. Some of the folks, here will be able to tell exactly what they are and if problems might arise.

and a bit more of a description would be good too..just "worms in the sand" could be about anything...If they're kinda redish/pink on one half and brown/black on the other, and have little spikey things all over, its a bristle worm and no need to worry. Your worms could also be fireworms, but i'm not sure what those look like, so i'll let someone else chime in.

Floridafinfan said:
wormlike growths are in Live Sand?
Worms lol! I'm pretty sure I know what your talking about, I have them too. They are nothing to worry about, just part of what makes LS "live". I'm not sure of the exact ID. A search for polychaete worms may help you.

ya speaking of worms...today i found a 5 inch bristleworm goin across my tnak lol...small compared to what some others have, but thats the biggest one i've seen in my tank, and it just freaked me out...but then it went to a dead hermit (had just lost a fight w/another) and started chompin down on him lol. its completely gone now..the hermit.

I moved this to SW ID and hopefully Fluff will do her stuff :lol:
As mentioned, pics would help. In general, most worms are beneficial in the SW tank when numbers are kept uner control. There are some very bad ones out there though.

I need a better description or a photo of the worms to be of any help. But I would agree that most of these worms are harmless, if not beneficial to your system and if it's in the sand bed, it's not something I would worry about.

i posted some pics of a fireworm for those who don't know what they look like. it is in this forum. if you look through there, it's not hard to find. also, my tank has crushed coral in the bottom right now, and i have lots and lots of little worms too. however, my worms are very small and a whiteish color. i never noticed them, and then one day it was an infestation. i like them though, i have actually seen my banded shrimp pick them out of some holes in my live rock and eat them. also, i'm pretty sure that sometimes my chromis eat them, but i haven't actually seen that, i just know that once i put in the fish, a big chunk of worms disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom