Worms On Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ae87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My son has a snail that has been laying like crazy in his tank. We found yet another “egg bubble” but noticed what appears to be tiny wiggly worms dancing on the outside of it, all around it. Any idea?...more wanting to make sure it’s nothing harmful.
Tank contains snails for cleaning and one single Axolotl.
IMG_0238.jpgIMG_0237.jpgIMG_0240.jpg

My son has a snail that has been laying like crazy in his tank. We found yet another “egg bubble” but noticed what appears to be tiny wiggly worms dancing on the outside of it, all around it. Any idea?...more wanting to make sure it’s nothing harmful.
Tank contains snails for cleaning and one single Axolotl.
View attachment 308585View attachment 308586View attachment 308587
They look like large species of nematodes. There are hundreds of speices of nematodes, many of which are microscopic. As to whether or not they will harm the eggs remains to be seen. Just a thought, but the may only be feeding on any fungi that often attacks fish eggs. If they do harm the eggs, then you'll have to treat for the worm infestation. One of the best parasite killers I've used is called PraziPro. It is safe for fish and snails. It is dosed at 1 tsp (5 ml) per 20 gallons of water an lasts for about 5 days and then you can resume water changes as normal. But make sure your dosage is as precise as possible. Even small overdosing will cause fish to lose their appetite and stop eating for a few days. It won't kill the fish, but they become docile (won't swim around much), but they'll be ok. Don't treat by your known tank size, but by water volume. Measure the height from the top of your gravel/sand to the surface of the water. Then measure the tank width and length all in inches. Multiply these 3 measurements times each other an divide the result by 231. This will tell you your water in gallons. The can then accurately treat your tank.

They look like large species of nematodes. There are hundreds of speices of nematodes, many of which are microscopic. As to whether or not they will harm the eggs remains to be seen. Just a thought, but the may only be feeding on any fungi that often attacks fish eggs. If they do harm the eggs, then you'll have to treat for the worm infestation. One of the best parasite killers I've used is called PraziPro. It is safe for fish and snails. It is dosed at 1 tsp (5 ml) per 20 gallons of water an lasts for about 5 days and then you can resume water changes as normal. But make sure your dosage is as precise as possible. Even small overdosing will cause fish to lose their appetite and stop eating for a few days. It won't kill the fish, but they become docile (won't swim around much), but they'll be ok. Don't treat by your known tank size, but by water volume. Measure the height from the top of your gravel/sand to the surface of the water. Then measure the tank width and length all in inches. Multiply these 3 measurements times each other an divide the result by 231. This will tell you your water in gallons. The can then accurately treat your tank.
Just one more tidbit about your snails used to clean the tank. Keep in mind that every thing that eats also poops. The snails waste will eventually break down into nitrates which will feed the algae. Snails, algae eaters, and Plecos produce as much algae as they eat. The only reason to keep such critters is that you like them. But unfortunately, they're are no creatures that actually clean the tank.

Just one more tidbit about your snails used to clean the tank. Keep in mind that every thing that eats also poops. The snails waste will eventually break down into nitrates which will feed the algae. Snails, algae eaters, and Plecos produce as much algae as they eat. The only reason to keep such critters is that you like them. But unfortunately, they're are no creatures that actually clean the tank.

Thank you! That was all really helpful information. Annnd unfortunately I think you’re right. Awoke this morning to the glass COVERED in these guys. Any idea how the come about? I’m always nervous we’ll bring a pest home with additions from the store, however we haven’t added anything new in a while...IMG_0254.jpg

Thank you! That was all really helpful information. Annnd unfortunately I think you’re right. Awoke this morning to the glass COVERED in these guys. Any idea how the come about? I’m always nervous we’ll bring a pest home with additions from the store, however we haven’t added anything new in a while...View attachment 308596
Unwanted critters get in tanks all the time. The worms or worm eggs coulh have been inside of the snail's shell or somtimes people just pour the pet shop's water in their tanks instead of transferring the new residents with a net. Adding plants can be the biggest culprit. In any case they always seem to make it in. They don't seem to be causing any harm other than being creepy. But if you don't get rid of them, their population will continue to grow. They use up oxygen in the tank annd also produce waste. Some nematodes are parasitic and dangerous. These don't appear to be nothing more than a nuisance. Treat the tank and kill them. There may be an ammonia spike right after treatment because of the decomposition of their carcasses.

Back
Top Bottom