Worried about my angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got him a couple of days ago. He's just a wee little guy, maybe just over an inch to one and a half. All he does does is hang out in the back of the tank staying hidden. He floats there in a "head-up" position (about 30 - 45 degrees). I've seen him eat once but had to coax him out of his hiding place. When I fed after work today he would not even come out with coaxing. Getting worried about the little guy.

Hello. What are your water parameters? Does he have tankmates? He may just be shy because he is new. Or, something may be out of whack in your water parameters, but at a glance I am guesing he may just be shy.

He has tank mates. Four corys and currently three male guppies (adding five females tomorrow). Also adding five or six zebra danios (the glow ones) tomorrow. Most info on the web says danios are not compatable with angels but my son really wants them. I'll test my water later tonight after the kids go to bed and post them.

He has tank mates. Four corys and currently three male guppies (adding five females tomorrow). Also adding five or six zebra danios (the glow ones) tomorrow. Most info on the web says danios are not compatable with angels but my son really wants them. I'll test my water later tonight after the kids go to bed and post them.
Ok, he isn't being bullied. Danios should be fine with angels. I don't know why not. They get to be 2 inches long which should be big enough to keep them from being angel lunch (but not by much;)).
So far, my best guess is still that he is just shy, but I will wait for your water params to be sure.:) Also, what size is your tank? When your angel gets bigger, he may eat your guppies (especially the males who stay smaller).

T'is 37 gallons with dimensions of 30" long by 20" tall by 12" wide (measured at glass not including bottom and top rims).

ph - 7.6
high range ph - 7.4
ammonia - 0.50ppm
nitrite - 0ppm
nitrate - 5ppm

Tested with API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

Did a water change yesterday (15 gallons).

Oops. Forgot to mention that it's filtered with a Marineland Penguin 200.

(Was just about to make another post again but figured out how to edit on this iPhone app)

Water temp is 80f.

About an hour ago he came out to browse the tank. :) He's still out and about now hanging out in a corner at the top of the tank. It's kinda dark, maybe he's not used to the bright light. I'll leave the lights out tomorrow for most of the day and see if he is more active.

About an hour ago he came out to browse the tank. :) He's still out and about now hanging out in a corner at the top of the tank. It's kinda dark, maybe he's not used to the bright light. I'll leave the lights out tomorrow for most of the day and see if he is more active.
Yeah, your parameters are great and he should behaving no issues with his tankmates. I definitely think he just shy rigtht now.
If you think it is the lights, you can uproot some plants (either real or fake) and let them float to block out some of the light.

.50 ammonia is not great, I'd keep a close eye on that and do water changes as needed. Once it gets up around 1ppm, at that pH you might start seeing some issues in the fish.
Oh man, I scanned the parameters and saw .00 instead of 0.5. Whoops. Thanks for pointing this out.

You may want to do more frequent pwc for awhile.

Yeah I missed it also the first time I read over the thread. .50 really isn't the end of the world or anything, just something to definitely keep a close eye on, because that ammonia level can get out of control and start knocking off fish in no time.

Had planned on doing a PWC this morning when I saw the .5 ammonia. Now bad news. Should have done it last night. The little guy died. Gonna do one right after I get done with my meeting today. Hopefully the other fish will be fine for the next 2-3 hours.

Screw the meeting. I'll be late. They can't fire me, I'm the boss. Just finished changing ten gallons. I'll test again later after it gets a bit of a mix and maybe do another ten gallons tonight based on the test results.

Screw the meeting. I'll be late. They can't fire me, I'm the boss. Just finished changing ten gallons. I'll test again later after it gets a bit of a mix and maybe do another ten gallons tonight based on the test results.
Oh, that stinks. I am sorry about your little guy. Keep up with the pwc and keep testing that water. New fish are more suseptable to water quality issues than established fish residents are. The whole moving process is stressful for them. Angels especially can be sensitive to this move. Once they established, they are actually pretty hardy though. So, just watch the parameters and keep an eye on your other fish for a while and once that ammonia is down, you should be able to get another angel.:)

Yeah, gonna keep a close watch for a while. Problem I found today is my tap water has very high ammonia levels (2ppm) so I'm going to have to rely on my LFS for water. I've ordered ten gallons for the morning and ask him to have another ten ready for me on Thursday. Tried to pick up some Seachem Prime today but they closed shop before I could get there.

Yeah, prime is a good idea. It neutralizes the ammonia for awhile while your natural biolfiters can go to work on it. Thats unfortunate that the ammonia is so high in your tap!

Yup sure is. That number is before dechlorinization. Treat for the chlorine and it releases more ammonia. Would assume that it is really at about 4 or 5 when it goes in the tank. Surprised I have not killed more fish.

Back
Top Bottom