Worried about my sea frog puffer's eggs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
When the eggs were first layed they were clear with a little black dot in them. Now 3 days later the eggs are still clear but the black dot is much bigger and more noticable. Is this a good or bad signe. Please reply a.s.a.p.

p.s. The male has constantly been fanning them and the eggs dont look like there is gungus on them.

I have just looked again and I think that they might actually be close to hatching like another day or two. :lol:

Books say about 5 days and it has been 3 with temp of 82, so maybe that has helped them hatch quicker it will be 4 days in about 4 hours so maybe soon 8)

I'd only worry if the eggs were a) cloudy white or otherwise opaque, or b) gone ( :wink: )

Keep us posted!!

Wow, thanx for the post's; some eggs are shaking now and then is this the fry moving :lol: 8O. What do i do with the fry lol :eek: . As use may know i have a nursery tank but there are allready fish in there. 8)

Any one any advice on the fry ? I dont want them to be eaten 8O

From what I understand the male will protect the fry until they are juvies, but that does not mean that yours will. Ideally you would remove the adult and leave the fry where they are.

What are your plans for the baby fish once you know they are viable? Are you planning on keeping them all together in the current tank? (Don't know if that is possible with this species or not). If you are going to sell them you might need a growout tank, especially if you have subsequent spawns.

The male should take care of them, but the female will eat them. Get some baby brine shrimp ready to feed them, or try adding Liquifry. You should add that now, as it will aid in the growth of tiny insuforia for them to eat. The most difficult aspect of breeding puffers is finding food for the fry small enough for them to eat.

I have frozen bloodworm, 2 different types of flake food, frozen brineshrimp, prawns (to big i am guesing) and the liquifry ?

I mean sources of food so small, you can barely see it with the naked eye (which is about how small the fry will be at 1st). There is a guy at The Puffer Forum that has bred this particular species. Go there & do a search & talk to him.

Ok thanx, However i am now really worried it has been 6 days since the eggs were layed and yet they have not hatched yet 8O Is this normal or is there something wrong ?

Steven_Askham said:
Ok thanx, However i am now really worried it has been 6 days since the eggs were layed and yet they have not hatched yet 8O Is this normal or is there something wrong ?

Not sure...I am not familiar with the maturation period of that species' eggs.

Back
Top Bottom