Worried about new fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottlyons

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently bought 3 red tailed boatias. I also have 5 tetras, 3 clown loaches, 4 rainbows, 3 glass cats, and a rope fish. In a 55 gallon tank. I have noticed the boatias have been snuggling up with the heater. Are they looking for a place to hide or is it possibly ich. They don't have spots. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Scottlyons said:
Recently bought 3 red tailed boatias. I also have 5 tetras, 3 clown loaches, 4 rainbows, 3 glass cats, and a rope fish. In a 55 gallon tank. I have noticed the boatias have been snuggling up with the heater. Are they looking for a place to hide or is it possibly ich. They don't have spots. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

What temperature is the tank set at?
Is it cycled?
What are your parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH)?
What kind of tetra are the tetras?
How long has the tank been set up with fish in it?
Where all the fish added at once?
The more info we have the more we can help. :)

Temp is at 82, yes the tank has been cycled, I have had the tank going for 3 years. So the fish have been added throughout that time. I have black skirt tetras. The boatias are very active but they seem to hang out behind the heater every so often. Just worried because about 1.5 years ago I had 3 clown loaches get ich, and they spent a lot of time by the heater. Thanks

Temp is 83 nitrite is 0 ph is 7 ammonia is 0 Nitrate is 20ppm

Scottlyons said:

Ok thanks.
Your temp is a little high IMO. Might want to bring it down a bit.
They are a type of loach, yes? Loaches are sociable fish and need to be kept in schools of 5-6+. They may be feeling a little scared/nervous/stressed because of being new to the tank and not having enough mates. Keep an eye on them for any signs of illness (clamped fins, listlessness, bloating, not eating etc). IMO they will be fine in a few days after they get use to their now environment. I would worry about ich unless they are showing signs of it (white spots are the most obvious sign). I don't know what size they get so I'm not going to comment on that.
Clown loaches are the same they need schools of 5+. They grow to be quite large and will out grow your tank unfortunately. Might be a good idea to rehome them.
Rainbows and glass cats also need schools of their own kind of 6+. Glass cats have also been know to die of loneliness if not kept in proper schools.

Thanks I appreciate your help,
I don't profess to know lots about fish. But if someone at a fish store doesnt know that the fish I have need to be in larger schools, they want to quit their day job. It spears like I will be going to the store to buy more fish. As far as the clown loaches go, they are only 2 inches now, by the time they outgrow the tank I plan on having a much larger tank. They are by far my favorite fish so I could t give then away. Thanks for helping a novice fish owner.

Scottlyons said:
Thanks I appreciate your help,
I don't profess to know lots about fish. But if someone at a fish store doesnt know that the fish I have need to be in larger schools, they want to quit their day job. It spears like I will be going to the store to buy more fish. As far as the clown loaches go, they are only 2 inches now, by the time they outgrow the tank I plan on having a much larger tank. They are by far my favorite fish so I could t give then away. Thanks for helping a novice fish owner.

Your welcome. I think you'll find that 99% of fish store employees have no idea so it doesn't matter what store you go to. Just pick one that has healthy stock and a good selection. Do your research before you buy the fish and you won't end up with unsuitable ones. :)

Back
Top Bottom