Would this be too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which combination should I choose??

• Cardinal tetras, Rummynose tetras and bleeding heart tetras

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cardinal tetras, HatchetFish and bleeding heart tetras

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hatchetfish, Rummynose tetras and bleeding heart tetras

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Fluval Roma 200 which I have had set up for the past year and a bit with a good amount of success, but then I got a couple of dodgy fish from my LFS so my tank is looking very empty.

For filtration I have: An APS 1400EF external and a Fluval U4 Internal, so no shortage on filtration there.

I have a sand substrate

I do monthly filter cleans on each at separate times to allow filter to recover

I do weekly 40-50% PWCs.

The aquarium is planted.

I currently have:

9 x Bleeding Heart Tetras
1x Angelfish (Juvenile at present)
3 x Three Lined corydoras (I have lost some runty ones over the past year)
3 x Zebra Loaches
4 or 5 x Kuhli Loaches (Can't remember or see exactly how many I have!!)
3 x Bristlenose plecos (Juveniles - I am only keeping a pair, but am waiting for a male and female to be confirmed!)
2 x Ottos (These are 2 left and they're literally indestructible and have survived everything!!)

In the main area of the tank, it looks very empty. I do not however, just want loads of bleeding hearts and nothing else as they don't use the whole tank and just the bottom half. I need some more shoaling fish.

I am torn between 3 possible combinations. Either cardinals and rummies, rummies and hatchets or cardinals and hatchets

I would plan to have 8 or 9 of each shoal, so 3 shoals of 8 or 9

Which would be your favourite combination?? What should I choose out of the above 3?? Which combination would compliment each other best??

(I will be expanding the shoals of bottom feeders to make them up to 6 each)

Look forward to hearing what you think!

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion, it would be best to keep the 3 zebra loaches, leave the kuhlis alone and up the Cory's to six, 18 bottom dwellers plus plecos may not give a ton of room for them. 3 zebra loaches will do just fine. I would go with the hatchets since they're more towards the top of the tank and see how it looks from there, if you still want more then add a school of the other fish. When I had my 55 gallon with a bunch of schooling fish it looked to packed but if you like it then go with it

I would say you are stocked. Maybe up a couple of the schools, or maybe only add one school of rummy,or hatchets.

Thank you...I am unsure on the hatchets now and think I will leave them...

Would cardinals, rummies and bleeding hearts work together or not do you think??

Ya, but I wouldn't get three schools of tetras in your tank, just wouldn't be enough space in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom