Would this light grow plants in a 20 gallon long aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I keep going back and fourth between live plants and fake plants. I think my biggest problem is lighting. I have a regular hood with a florescent light, I think it's 17 watts. I don't have enough money to buy a new whole big system, I'd like to spend less than $30 on lighting. Can I just replace the light with a stronger one instead of getting a whole new big system?

Would this light be good enough for moderate light plants?

Light:
30" (HO T5) 6,700k 31W- Coralife

My hood:
Aqueon Deluxe Full Fluorescent Black Aquarium Hoods - Aquarium Hood and Fish Tank Light from PETCO.com

Ok thanks. I'm a little clueless about all of the electrical stuff.

Yes, but you won't get more light intensity out of it. You may get a better spectrum for plant growth, if it doesn't have a daylight spectrum bulb in it already, but that's about it.

Wattage on fluorescent fixtures is based on bulb lengths/fixture types, so you can't just grab like a 50w bulb and stick it in there, like you could with a screw in light fixture.

Ok. In the description it says it is a 17 watt full spectrum lamp, so could it grow lowlight plants?

Back
Top Bottom