would this little trick work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sir_dudeguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
when i was in nicaragua the last couple weeks, i noticed that, since the humidity is about 90% there, that all the restaraunts would put a little bit of white rice in their salt shakers...apparently it keeps the salt dry so that it wont clump up...my question is, would this work on aquarium salt? I'm in az, so i dont gotta worry about humidity really lol, but i do get clumpy salt since water (or moisture i should say) gets in there somehow, even tho i keep those "big clip" things on all my bags.

Anyone ever try this? just curious as to if it will work or not.

I always keep my salt in the air tight buckets and have no issues get plenty of humidity in WI. I would think it would be a pian to seperate when ready to mix the salt and I would be concerned about something leaching out of the rice.

Just my thoughts,

ya i wasnt actually gonna do it...i was just wondering since i saw it done there. And my room is very humid...if it was any more humid i'd say theres a good chance of rain lol. My room is completely closed off and i got an open tank w/a fan blowing over it so it gets really humid in there (its all good tho, cuz i like it like that) And when i had oceanic it would be sealed off but still get clumpy...prolly jusst a crappy brand.

How about getting a rubbermaid containter with a tigh fitting lid, and setting your salt bag, and your rice side by side? You can put your rice in a leg of a pair of pantyhose. Maybe that would work.

Here in Texas, all our salt shakers come with rice =P

If you’re buying your salt by the bags and not the buckets then I’d get a 5 gal bucket from Home Depot, Lowes, or Wal-Mart with a lid and transfer your salt to that.

I used to buy my salt in bags a long time ago and always had clumping issues but since I’ve switched to buckets it’s never been an issue. Either way it still should dissolve if properly mixed, just takes a bit to break it up.

I know the buckets cost $40+ for 200 gal but it’s cheaper in the long.

I think it would be more of a pain trying to get the rice out of the salt. I agree with tec, get the buckets of salt. It is much cheaper in the long run, plus you have a new acclimation bucket when it is empty.

ya i might get bucketted salt in the future, but they're really expensive here because all they have is tropic marin and its pretty expensive. so now i just get IO by the bag. But the IO doesnt clump up...ot was the oceanic, but that might be cuz it was a crappy brand.

and ya i didnt mean put the rice directly in the salt...what i was thinkin was getlike a rubbermade or something, and just in one corner build a wall (kinda like a baffle i guess) so that there is a complartment in the corner...i would jus tput the rice in there and the salt in the main part. I never buy that much salt at a time so it wouldnt be filled up that high, so the "baffle" wouldnt be tall at all.

Rice in the salt here in MD too. :)

I agree with the general consensus. Not a good idea. I used to get bags of salt, and will never go back since getting my bucket of IO.

if you can't get buckets, using salt would help. Obviously, you wouldnt just toss some in there and I personally would fill the bottom of a tube sock (clean of course) with some rice and then tie the end in a knot and toss it in the bag -- if the bag is small, you could always go grab a single pair of baby socks for a buck or two -- might even find some with fish on them! lol :)

ya but how much is the shipping on that bucket?prolly like 30 bucks at least.
tbonem---did you mean rice would helP

from my experience buying buckets of salt online is cheaper than in stores even after shipping. I use tropic marine and in most stores by me they get abou 100$ for a 200g bucket and i get them online for about 60$ and thats with shipping included.

Back
Top Bottom