Would this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is a really cool idea but would it actually work and what would I have to do to maintain it? How do you take care of adult brine shrimp? What do they eat? I did some research but I couldn't find much when it came to keeping these as pets and not for fish food? Please note that I'm not against feeding brine shrimp to fish because I do think it's very healthy for fish, but I just think this would be a cool mini project! I may or may not actually do this but just thought I'd ask about it. And if that wont work will this?

EDIT: whoops forgot to post a link of what I'm talking about! Read both descriptions for what is in each nano tank. First idea:
Second idea:

NatureFish
????

How big is your tank? A brine shrimp tank is going to be utterly boring...

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you follow the link? The "tank" is a glass. Brine shrimp are pretty much the only things small enough to live happily in there. The second link suggests that cherry shrimp could live in there but even a cherry shrimp deserves more space. People on the Internet suggested a betta but that would be cruel. My betta is going into a ten gallon once it's cycled.

NatureFish
????

You mean that is your tank?! Omg haha I guess that is what you have then the choices are extremely limited. Okay here is what I will do if I were you. I would use some mesh to carpet Java moss. Then have some anubias tied to a verticle cut up chopstick. Next, you 'grow' some seed shrimp in there, would that be more, 'fun' than a brine shrimp tank? :)

Wait what? Seed shrimp? What are those? Oh gosh I hope you don't think that's the ONLY tank I have I have a 30 gal and three ten gal. I just thought I'd be a cool thing to put on my night stand!

NatureFish
????

So you think It would be better to just have a planted wine glass without anything at all in it?

NatureFish
????

As a kid I would hatch brine shrimp eggs and leave the jar out in the full sun all summer. The water would turn green and there would be a few mature adults in there. I would see juveniles in there so I assumed they bred. I also fed them yeast. After a while sediment would form on the bottom and the shrimp would plow through it. A few years ago I grew/raised shrimp in a mason jar next to a window. I cannot remember if I had an air pump running for water circulation. Again I fed them yeast. Neither tank had any decor in it. This was more of an effort to recreate having Sea Monkeys (artificial species of brine shrimp).
I also have a few jars of flame and have moss next a window and there are populations on copepods and seed shrimp in there. I was using them as reserve moss but too much blue green slime algae have settled in with the moss. I could treat it with erythromycin but not sure if it's worth the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Does anyone think ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp are too big for a glass? I would think so.

NatureFish
????

My boyfriend has spent countless hours and hundreds of dollars trying to get the brine shrimp to live longer than a week. He has read every web site, ordered lots of books. And.... They always die.

Sent from my iPhone

So I guess I'll just have plants in it. Unless a snail would work? I want to put a tiny little somethin in there with the plants but we've said shrimp are a bad idea and brine shrimp is a bad idea and snails probably won't work so what's left?

NatureFish
????

Id skip the glass and go with a vase. Use a black sand substrate, plant it, and then add some rcs

A planted glass would be sexy already! If you have sth with larger surface area(not height) a few shrimp can be added. Good luck with planting them ;l

Id skip the glass and go with a vase. Use a black sand substrate, plant it, and then add some rcs

Ok! I only have brown sand though. :(
And what are RCS? Red cherry shrimp?

NatureFish
????

A planted glass would be sexy already! If you have sth with larger surface area(not height) a few shrimp can be added. Good luck with planting them ;l

Ok cool! Thanks for the input!

NatureFish
????

Oh and I had another question but I didn't want to post another thread. Can I make a marimo moss carpet/mat? I love the moss for a natural aquascape but what I want to do wont work if I have little green balls in my tank.

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom