Would you treat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronBurr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I've got a fish who might have the start of a fungle infection or it might be nothing. She has a bit of a white patch above the eye But it's very small.

I've put her in a quarantine tank, but I'm not sure if I should start treatment or wait to see if it becomes worse.

Thoughts?

Can you send me a picture of that fish. Can you tell me how long he had that fungus. What kind of fish is it. Can you test the parameters are it ok if you don't but the main thing that I'm look for is the ammonia.

Often times when a fish gets a nic or scrape a little tank fungus will attach itself to the wound. As long as the tank water is kept clean and the fish is still eating, the wound heals and the fungus disappears. If the fungus worsens, you might try a tank antiseptic, like Melafix, or the numerous fungal meds available at your LFS. Good luck.

Can you send me a picture of that fish. Can you tell me how long he had that fungus. What kind of fish is it. Can you test the parameters are it ok if you don't but the main thing that I'm look for is the ammonia.

Thanks for the reply,

I will have to provide a picture later when I get home. The dot has been there ~4 days with no real change. It's a black molly. And I retested the water, this morning, no ammonia spike. She is still eatting fine too.

If this worked you shold see the pic of the fish below.

Attachments

• 20170826_174357.jpg
    20170826_174357.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 39
Looks like a boo boo.
I would keep water clean and maybe even salt if the other fish like it also.
In a QT I would salt the mollie for sure.
I am NOT the salt guy , but mollies really enjoy/prefer it especially if your water is not naturally 'hard' already.

Looks like a boo boo.
I would keep water clean and maybe even salt if the other fish like it also.
In a QT I would salt the mollie for sure.
I am NOT the salt guy , but mollies really enjoy/prefer it especially if your water is not naturally 'hard' already.

Thanks, I'm glad I asked instead of going straight to trying to treat. The other fish can't do salt so I've never tried that before. Do you know who's a good person to ask about salt for the QT?

You can buy solar salt at a grocery store for 5 bucks a 40lb bag, or walmart, or home depo.
Salt is very good for mollies and guppies.
Wounds could be treated with methylene blue in this QT/Hospital tank.
If you need antibiotic, like if the wound progresses, use a combo of maracyn 1/2, or Oxytetracycline feed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom