WOW 6 CASUALTIES!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIMojo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Omg omg omg omg

guys... my tanks... are like... where fish go if they've been bad their former fish lives

holy crap. yesterday, 3 large pond koi's died

today... 3 medium cichlids died.
AND there's 2 i think are on their way to the toilet bowl as well.

i did a full water changed because i was afraid that the ammonium level would be too high due to several fish deaths... when i finish cleaning my 70 gallon tank and go to the fish hotel, THREE ARE FLOATING UPSIDE DOWN!!!

omg, and now inside of the new tank.... TWO ARENT MOVING!!!! they're just breathing really hard. Im scared

omg as im writing, more and more fish are just laying down... ONE OF THEM IS ON ITS SIDES BREATHING HARD!!!

AGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I cant scoop them out either, they're inside small caves, the tank is pretty deep, my hand wont reach and if i take out one cave, 6 other caves are gunna collapse and kill everybody!!!

I'm guessing something went wrong with your full water change...
What fish are in your 70 gal? Why a full water change? A healthy aquarium should not have any ammonia, and pond koi can not be kept healthy in an aquarium, they foul up your water allot.

Try to do some partial water changes, see if that helps. If you have a test kit, test your tank water and tap water, so we can see where the problem lies.

Maybe there's more dead fish somewhere in your tank fowling up the water. I would remove the caves if possible, as carefully as you can, to see if you haven't missed a dead fish. I know it's a PITA to do so, but better safe then sorry.

Hope everything turns out ok.

the koi's died ina different tank. i kept them there for the winter. my pond is too shallow and will freeze over completely

i did a full water change becuase 3 fish died, now after the change, there's a bunch of fish laying around on their sides

i did a COMPLETE CHANGE. I rinsed the gravel, i washed teh rocks, i emptied 90% of the water, there is no dead fish laying around. i would have seen it when i was washing my gravel

Well then you killed all your beneficial bacteria and your tank is now cycling. Keep up the water changes.

This isn't april fools is it?

no, my fish are really acting wierd. im gunna post some pictures up in the "show case" area for freshwater. you just look around for about 5 fish laying on the sand doing nothing but breathing

Ok, I saw your pictures, now the best thing to do is keep doing large (50%) water changes daily. Since you cleaned everything, you also killed your beneficial bacteria. Do you have another tank? If so, move some filter media and gravel from that tank to this one (not too much though! make sure not to disrupt bacterial colony in the other tank as well). It will help cycle your 70 gal. Get a test kit asap and keep a close eye on your parameters.

Meanwhile the best thing you can do for your fish is do large water changes. It will relieve the stress of rising ammonia levels a bit.

Good luck!

none actually DIED in the newly changed water,

they look look really weak, so i dont know why there would be any rise in ammonia levels in the water. i put a bunch of rocks from a different tank in there. Remember i also said i changed 90% of the water, not 100%

-------------

*sigh*

total casualty count is now at

8... in 2 days... im a fish killer

Yes, well the water does not contain any nitrifying bacteria, it's especially the decoration, gravel and filter that has them. But still it's not well to do large water changes since the parameters like hardness and pH are affected by things in your tank, so it may differ quite a bit from what comes straight from the tap. That's why it can be a shock to your fish if you give them all (or 90%) fresh water at once.

Did you wash yur filter as well??

Back
Top Bottom