Wow, you guys have it made

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know nothing of freshwater. I spent some time tonight reading through some posts and looking at some profiles.
I am amazed at the amount of fish that can be put in a FW system. In a SW system the water chems would wipe you out in a heartbeat.
I have a spare 10 gallon that I am considering setting up in my daughters room. I would like to try my hand at fw. Any suggestions for starter fish that my 7 yr old could easily (with my help) care for?
Also any basic suggestions for substrate and aquatic plants? If the question is too broad I will try to narrow it.
TIA!!!

Hi Kurt~
Nice to see you on this side!!

Starter fish. Hmmmm, there are many that you could try. My top three:
~male betta with dwarf frogs or male betta with khuli loches, I don't know if the frogs and khuli loaches would go well together(silk plants, or low light plants and gravel--she can choose the color :wink:)
~Shellie tank (sand substrate with empty FW snail shells)
~Badis badis (gravel or "river stone," real wood and fake or low light plants)

These are not the obvious choices, but ones I have either had, or would like to have. Let me find a thread about low light plants, then you are not dealing with high wattage lights and CO2 injectors.

Wow, if you are successfully caring for that tank you have listed below, I don't see how freshwater would present a challenge for you! :)

I think swordtails and platys are good starter fish, active and interesting to watch, hardy. I think these would be perfect starter fish for a 10 gallon. These are also peaceful fish (depending on what kind of tank mood you're looking for).

Also, I like gouramis, I think they are extremely cool and colorful (once you get them out of the pet store tanks and destressed). Their only problem is they can be aggressive and may outgrow a 10 gallon.

For algae control in a 10 gallon, I think otocinclus are the way to go.

Paul

Thanks!! My 7 year old does a lot to help me care for my tank. She has been asking for a tank in her room for a while and I would like to surprise her.
I will watch this thread for a while and get some ideas. I need to go to my LFS soon for some supplies, will give me a chance to check out some of these fish.
I was there the other day looking at some Rams and some Bettas, beautiful fish!!
I will spend some time reading through post to get a clue about cycling and basic setup.
Once again thank!!

Danios are very hardy breeds. Not too colorful, but very active. Java ferns are a plant that will grow in almost any aquarium. Anacharis is another easy plant. All 3 can be found at almost any pet store.

One thing I've notice at the pet store is - the more expensive something is, the more likely it is to die on you. You have good odds simply going to the pet store, and buying the cheapest fish and the cheapest plants.

The easiest plants to grow will do fine in the basic, colorful, epoxy-coated gravel. This gravel wont be any good for root feeding plants, but these plants might be more work than you want for your 7-year old.

If you give us your tap-water parameters we might be able to be a little more specific on fish. Do you SW guys know about water parameters? (just kidding)

HAHAHA!!!

Your a NEWBIE!

Kinda doing things backwards eh Quarry??? :wink:

anyways, I Love Barbs, a great community tank would include 2 rosey barbs, a mated pair of Cherry Barbs, 4 Zebra Danios, and A couple of cory cats.

Or you could go with 4 Tiger Barbs, 6 Neon Tetras, and a couple of Cory cats.

If you would rather have calmer fish, consider Mollies and Fancy guppies. Your daughter may find these more appealing.

the possibilities are rather endless. and there is so many great choices out there!
and You can get away with alot more in the freshwater world.

The words "overstocked" don't neccisarily mean a death sentence. :)

Bascally, a gravel sandbed that is deep enough for the plants to take root is fine. I would start with Sword plants and other simple, hearty plants. A plant-specific replacement bulb for the standard lighting hood will work just fine. A penguin HOB filter is a MUST and a cheap heater will work just fine. a small piece of driftwood from the LFS gives a very natural and dramatic look to any tank. Be sure to provide lots of hiding places for your fish. They are most happy when they can get away from each other from time to time.

No QT tank is needed, but care should always be taken with selecting your stock, and of-course, never introduce the LFS water into your system.

have fun!!!

No QT tank is needed, but care should always be taken with selecting your stock, and of-course, never introduce the LFS water into your system.
WHA-WHAT?!?!?
Always have something available to QT your fish in, whether they are new additions or ill.

I didn't mention a tank of two rams, 3-4 corie cats and a rubberlip, clown or pitbull pleco (algea control).
I have a bias against live bearers--I don't find them appealing and they always have fry when you don't want them to and they don't have fry when you bought them specifically for that job!!
Since you are an experienced fish keeper, I was giving you fish choices that are hardy--if you've had a tank before.

You got another vote for Danios to cycle with here. I cycled my FW setup with Zebras and Leopards and these guys weren't even phased! They're very active little guys, too.

As for the substrate, I would stay away from the cheaper brands; the paint tends to chip off and i've heard some stories of the rocks rusting? :| . I'm using "estes stones" good brand if you ask me.

I didn't really have the time to deal with real plants. I understand that there are some easy plants out there but I would've wanted all the nice ones that required extra care. I went plastic. Not so bad, they look pretty real and if you get an otocinclus sucker cat they keep them really clean of algae.

HTH a little
-Dan

thanks Menagerie,

What I meant to say is that a QT tank is not NESSICARY. I have had FW tanks for years and I never had a problem that would have required a QT tank to fix. but, Of course, it is always a good Idea to have a spare tank should the need arise.

I'd do a fishless cycle.... maybe even let her help decide (you pick out the options of course) that way she's involved from day 1

live bearers are great in terms of getting to see all those babies, but then, its what to do with all those babies!!

a betta and some cories are my vote..., then again, maybe let her decide!

Definitely go with a fishless cycle--it won't give you the surprise factor you were going for, but fish are saved from the ammonia and nitrite fluctuations.

I never used to have a QT tank, but now I have two!

I have a slightly different suggestion for you. I think that you should go with a brackish tank, seeing as how you are already familiar with salt a tad bit :wink: You can keep a Beta, which is just beautiful, and I'd recommend some, as in two, haha, bumblebee gobies, they are incredible little fish. I'd also through in a Black Molly, the black would contrast the betta nicely.

As for substrate, I'd go with playsand, not white tropical, just regular old playsand, the stuff looks cool. I'd get a pengiun 125 bio-wheel for your filter, and then pick up a cheap little heater. By cheap I mean inexpensive, not cheaply made, FTR.

I have a tank setup like this and the little kids love it, almost as much as my nemo tank, ahum, cough cough, Clownfish tank, haha.

HTH, Joshua...

Here's just something for you to think about Quarryshark :wink: .

It's a terrific idea to get your little girl started with a tank of her own. IME kids that age fall in love with THEIR fish. They also don't understand when something they love dies. Fish are fragile, and it's more difficult to keep a small tank healthy then a larger one.

For that reason I would buy the hardiest of hardy fish and understock the tank. Black tetras or danios would be a good choice. Stay away from any fish that jumps such as swordtails.

Platies. - This would be my first choice for any child. They're colorful, somewhat active, and fairly easy to care for. But the real thing is most kids love the thought of babies in their tank. You can get a clump of java moss for a few offspring to survive in. Just be prepared to explain the whole "law of nature" thing to her.

GL

You can keep a Beta, which is just beautiful, and I'd recommend some, as in two, haha, bumblebee gobies, they are incredible little fish. I'd also through in a Black Molly, the black would contrast the betta nicely.
Bettas are not a brackish water fish. Plus, it would be disasterous with bb gobies, as they are little nippers!

Thanks everyone for the advise. I'll copy this thread and check out all these animals at the fish store tonight. I have some time, straight A's are required before this will happen. First report card is a ways away. :wink:
I like Brian's idea of the heartier fishes to start, will check out the Platies. I also like the idea of plasic plants to start, don't want to overload her too much.
She will ge to pick out the fish, I just want to get a list together of possible inhabitants first.
Brian, she understands the "life thing" a little already. We lost several SW fish to velvet a while back, was not much fun. :(
I think she is ready, just needs to bring home the grades. :wink:
Thanks all!!

One more plug from me!! Shellies are hardy and do multiply in a small tank. The number of fry will be reduced since they are egg spawners. I keep Neolamprologus multifasciatus in a 10 gal with a sand substrate--no plants since the shellies move the sand everywhere. I don't currently have a pic of them in my gallerie since they are only 1-1/2" fish and they don't stay still!

Good luck Kurt!! I have an extra 10g and 20g, maybe I could start a FW for my little girl. Don't worry she is very aware of the problems that can be caused when item are put in a tank. :wink:

She also helps me with our SW tank, and has not once done anything to the tank other than smear her greasy little hands on the glass. 8O She is almost 6.

The problem with another tak is I will have to keep it up. How hard is the maintinence, and upkeep of a small FW tank with minimal fish.

Sorry to hijack your thread Qshark. :wink:

PS. Great idea for rewarding your children, and showing them you care Kurt.
PSS. She is also aware of death for animals, being that we have a SW. :|

Thanks guys, Kudos!!
Thanks rev. Ya she want to do SW with the Clownfish thing, but I think this would be a good way to go. I don't want to put a clown is a little 10 gallon. One of our Percs is a runt, hasn't grown in a year and I am tempted. But I was looking at some FW fish a few weeks back, some pretty cool animals. Want her to try something a little different and I don't need another salt tank to care for right now. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom