WTH is this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tony1021

Aquarium Advice Activist
weird looking thing on my lr, just noticed it today behind my acan.

don't think its aiptasia, any other ideas????

its black, red, and white in color

img_1056565_0_fa0d3078548642f74fb883260877decc.jpg

i just got back from school and the "sea spider" isn't there anymore, i wonder if it got eaten by something in my tank or just died, or maybe moved somewhere i can't see it.

any suggestions on how to get rid of these things?

Yours is the first hitchhiker I have seen. It's still in there and I guess you will just have to read up on them to see how to get rid of it. Maybe someone else will chime in.

i just got back from school and the "sea spider" isn't there anymore, ...

Well... I guess that answers the question I was going to ask: "Does it move if you poke at it?"

Yowsa. That thing just doesn't even look nice. And I'm OK with spiders! I really had no idea such a thing existed. Learn something new everyday around here!

yep...although it doesn't look pretty and not good for my tank, it's pretty interesting. I was watching it yesterday eat. They fold their legs into the center and push the whole leg down into the mouth. Then when that leg comes out another leg does the same thing and its pretty continous.

if i see it again, im going to try and suck it out with my turkey baster, lol

That's a good plan. They are normally prey specific, So just watch your most expensive item in your tank as that will be the one it goes after. LOL

found it...

img_1056728_0_5e20ea2e733e16ef0e8802b822f2ddc0.jpg

img_1056728_1_82cdaa3f6ba2beca7ba1174cb7844807.jpg

it felt soft and was pretty difficult to remove...i had to pry it out with my exacto knife...hope i don't have that thing anywhere else in my tank, gonna be on the lookout for that from now on

also, going to do a PWC to filter out anything bad it might have left, just in case.

Umm... if it's that thing in the middle, it sure doesn't look like the first picture. Where are the legs? You sure that's it? That thing looks more like a stomatella, or some type of sea slug.

lol, i hope this is what it was in its closed form, its in the same location it was in the first pic

Sure doesn't look the same to me, but I wasn't there obviously!

There just might've been something 'tasty' on the rock that was attracting things to come on by and sample.

if you look at the first pic it was in this same location...when i touched it and it didn't move so it wasn't a slug

after i pryed it out it was really small and got hard, kind of like a small fragment of rock

Well good for you. Keep your eyes open incase there is another one.
You have good eyes......"Great safari Hunter" hahaha

i have something similar in my tank, but it doesnt move from its location. its a sea cucumber of some sort. mine seems to be a harmless filter feeder

Back
Top Bottom