Wy Renegade's 20L Bog Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much did it run you? Also do they make any bigger ones?

Can't tell you for sure on this one, I bought it over 5 years ago. I do remember at the time thinking it was a bit expensive, but didn't mind because it was exactly what I was looking for. They do make larger sizes, not sure what the largest is, but I believe if I remember right, they said it was like a 30gal.

Wy Renegade said:
Can't tell you for sure on this one, I bought it over 5 years ago. I do remember at the time thinking it was a bit expensive, but didn't mind because it was exactly what I was looking for. They do make larger sizes, not sure what the largest is, but I believe if I remember right, they said it was like a 30gal.

I looked it up actually. It's made by Zilla and runs from 75 to 100 dollars. They also get at big as 40 gallons.

I looked it up actually. It's made by Zilla and runs from 75 to 100 dollars. They also get at big as 40 gallons.

I think that is right, because I believe Zilla bought AGA. Price seems a little higher than I thought, but like I said, it was five years ago so they may have come up since then. 40 gallons would be an awesome size.

Wy Renegade said:
I think that is right, because I believe Zilla bought AGA. Price seems a little higher than I thought, but like I said, it was five years ago so they may have come up since then. 40 gallons would be an awesome size.

Yeah 40 gallons would be awesome. I saw it for $150.

Very nice project wy renegade. I had a similar project back in June of 2009. My tank was originally a terrarium with geckos, green anole lizards, red bellied toads, and a baby bullfrog in. It had sort of a bog protion and a small pool with a waterfall filter. My kids and I enjoyed it for a while and then I converted it to an aquarium. If I find a picture in my backup drive I will post it next time.

Very nice project wy renegade. I had a similar project back in June of 2009. My tank was originally a terrarium with geckos, green anole lizards, red bellied toads, and a baby bullfrog in. It had sort of a bog protion and a small pool with a waterfall filter. My kids and I enjoyed it for a while and then I converted it to an aquarium. If I find a picture in my backup drive I will post it next time.

Thanks for the kind words johmartz. Your project sounds cool - post up some pictures if you find em.

This tank. O_O

Is AWESOME. :D

Thanks LemurLad

Uh-Oh, Must Be Doing Something Wrong ;)

Time for an update, as the bog is filling in very nicely. I'm very pleased with its progress at this point, it is even beginning to smell like a natural stream area.

img_1211368_0_a268af18d11774a91db1416179c2db00.jpg

Why must I be doing something wrong? Well check out this shot - some of the plants are flowering in the middle of February - LOL;
img_1211368_1_f2be08aaebfe72a747327416fea6b0ac.jpg

Anyway, some shots so you can see a little more of the detail;

The bog (forward);
img_1211368_2_498d31988d548335ef3958a9879389d6.jpg

The bog (rear);
img_1211368_3_b3f227f82a83b19fb8f85b35ad448c1d.jpg

The backside of the bog (you can clearly see the fern sori);
img_1211368_4_50b876fee7ac52812fece0b72febce4c.jpg

The pool area;
img_1211368_5_4790d1e29d276534da7582465b5f693c.jpg

Originally I was pretty hesitant about putting the duckweed in the pool, as I wasn't sure how much it would take over. However, I'm really liking it now that it is growing in, and watching the fish swim throught the roots is pretty enjoyable as well. This shot gives you an idea of what I mean;
img_1211368_6_925b1ee6c7e816153a7b5352b5e6ee63.jpg

Here you get a good shot of my bog orchid;
img_1211368_7_0e5b07c78e0fd9a23e4644fbfd198018.jpg

And speaking of fish;
img_1211369_0_a54362aa9d50f071ba192ca722b9cfe2.jpg

Opps, almost forgot these two top down shots of the pool area;
img_1211369_1_1d6e7421b3780b399bdc4d7e8c83ac94.jpg

img_1211369_2_1fa5930b5acd60a4c679d545603c57b1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Wy Renegade said:
And speaking of fish;

Opps, almost forgot these two top down shots of the pool area;

Thanks for looking!

Very nice. Is that native fish in there?

Very cool! In 10th grade, my bio teacher had a Piranha in a tank (don't know the size) on one of the lab benches. It was hard to take tests; all I wanted to do was watch him! Your students are very lucky.

Well done, beautiful tank.

i've been lurking this and must have missed where it was in your classroom! im planning on becoming a bio teacher and want to have a nice small reef in my classroom!

your students are very lucky and you have an awesome tank!

Thanks all for dropping in, and for the kind words.

Very cool! In 10th grade, my bio teacher had a Piranha in a tank (don't know the size) on one of the lab benches. It was hard to take tests; all I wanted to do was watch him! Your students are very lucky.

Well done, beautiful tank.

Thanks Marconis, I know the students really enjoy it, but its a toss up between me and them as to who enjoys it more.

Indeed on both counts! :D

Thanks Xailiar, it has indeed come together nicely.

i've been lurking this and must have missed where it was in your classroom! im planning on becoming a bio teacher and want to have a nice small reef in my classroom!

your students are very lucky and you have an awesome tank!

iDreamInSaltwater, this is actually only one of several (14 at current count) tanks that are set up in my biology lab. Personally I don't think you can get much more in touch with nature than by having a little bit of it in your classroom.

These are a couple of older pictures, but you get the idea ;)

img_1215152_0_530e89c0bfd3a5b15710ffe4d96630aa.jpg

img_1215152_1_7035d71dfa4ecc1c02ceb2c8fa120b09.jpg

Wow, impressive. Also, you guys have very nice labs it seems.

Thanks Nick, yeah the labs are very nice. The school was rebuilt in the 90s, and for a change the architects actually asked the teachers for input - imagine that. As a result, we have some of the best designed lab/classrooms I've seen.

That is one of the most impressive tanks I've ever seen. I love tanks that a part land, part water (I'm planning one right now for a 55 gallon, not so much like a bog, but we seem to have some similar ideas in certain points). It's really interesting to see how it has grown over time, you've really done an excellent job. I am also very interested by carnivorous plants and thought it would be fun to include some, but I would be worried about some of the smaller animals I'd like to keep in the tank with them.

I love the variety of plants and how you've let them grow. It looks very natural and the fish seem to enjoy it. If I had been a member of this forum sooner, I would have been following this thread the whole time because this is such an amazing tank. If we were rating it, I'd give this one a 10/10, it's truly unbelievable and I would love to have one like it.

Very good job.

Back
Top Bottom