Wy Renegade's 20L Bog Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! Just spent the last hour or so looking through the thread, that of course led me to czcz's Trying to build something, a babbling post as well. Both threads are very inspirational.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f98/sticks-and-stones-journal-109617.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...g-a-babbling-post-and-catching-up-109172.html

They both definitely make me want to add more "sticks" to the bog. Not sure if I want to spend a lot more time focusing on this one, or if I want to put more focus into the 40b Turtle Tanks that we're working on.

LOL sorry, I was thinking of the wrong thread, maybe it was elwaine's (I think?) 'emergent growth thingy' thread I was thinking about... at any rate, czcz and elwaine were a couple of my mentors when I started out with planted tanks. Glad to see their threads are still inspiring and relevant.

Your tank is visually pleasing, and I appreciate the science behind your thinking. It reminds me of those 2 guys in a lot of ways.

Uh-oh, sounds like I have some more searching to do. Guess that I'll have to address that one tomorrow. I love threads like both of those - the rambling thoughts and learning as one does I think is awesome. Couple of my favorite saltwater mentors are florida joe and Paul B. They have that same rambling thought/learning-n-teaching as they post methodology as well. Guess maybe that is part of why my threads tend to run the way they do as well.

LOL sorry, I was thinking of the wrong thread, maybe it was elwaine's (I think?) 'emergent growth thingy' thread I was thinking about... at any rate, czcz and elwaine were a couple of my mentors when I started out with planted tanks. Glad to see their threads are still inspiring and relevant.

Your tank is visually pleasing, and I appreciate the science behind your thinking. It reminds me of those 2 guys in a lot of ways.

So I've done some more digging today. The only other tank thread of elwaine's I could find was on a nano tank;
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f98/jbj-pico-journal-108865.html

Interstestingly enough, I dug back through my subscribed threads and discovered I'd subscribed to the czcz thread long ago, in fact I did so because you recommended it to me way back when I first joined AA. I'll have to do a little more digging.

Had to add some top-off water to the tank today, and while I was doing so, I made a few observations.

1. Almost all the moss clumps I've added to the tanks have declined. I have a few small areas where some of it is hanging on, but for the most part it just seems to die out. I'm wonderinging if that may be an effect of the higher lighting or the water it receives. Wonder if some type of mist might be helpful.

2. The duckweed has almost completely disappeared. It remains in a few scattered areas amongst the various plants, but it looks no were as healthy as it did when it was first introduced. Not sure if this is due to increased flow due to the aquaclear, or if it also an effect of lighting (in this case too little, as most of the other plants are grower over it).

3. Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately, the green dragonfly solved the issue of what to do with it by itself. It has passed on, perhaps a lack of food available for its adult form or it may have been something else all together.

Need to get an updated FTS, the Forget-Me-Nots are really taking over the pool area of the bog at this point, while much the bog area seems to be fading back. Perhaps its time to start thinking about removing and replacing the existing "soil" or perhaps its time to start thinking about adding some ferts to the bog. I hate to though, as I have very little trouble with algae at this point and I'm not dosing any CO2.

These shots were actually taken back on December 22, its just taken me a while to get them uploaded. I'm going to have to remember the camera next weeks so I can get some Janaury shots as well.

Here are a couple of the pool area. You can see how the Forget-Me-Nots and the Mints have really taken off in an upward direction;
img_1767045_0_621eeeba28262c0d1ea46bbc0dc0d996.jpg

Here's a top down you can see how overgrown its become, the duckweed is almost completely gone;
img_1767045_1_6e406b8b261843c37aa23a0c3750f1ff.jpg

The Orchid still appears to be holding its own, although its almost buried at this point;
img_1767045_2_01eef1b5e968372353a48c6fe76b0b2d.jpg

The sedges I still can't figure out, the root mass appears to be healthy and growing, but they just don't grow and the original stems are dying back;
img_1767045_3_aa69d475337ecee60a3f5f701f63cb90.jpg

The waterfall area is looking good, but the AC has never quited back down. I picked up a new AC30, need to get it moved in;
img_1767045_4_3382266b84f6362d5d2ac18fc87ff452.jpg

The plants in the bog area are growing, but the fern continues to loose quite a few stems on a regular basis, and is much browner than I would like;
img_1767045_5_2491ee5b2aaffd8460414b9b18e91e8d.jpg

But there is a lot of new growth;
img_1767045_6_b5d309f9d389a7a376fcf4dc7b9f8d6e.jpg

And of course, the required FTS;
img_1767045_7_ac231d796698ebdc63ca6e1a71bb5fba.jpg

I still want to move in...... :D

Thanks! There is almost enough water in there for us to get our feet wet if we wade in ;).

Replaced the AC20 with the new AC30 today, so things are quiet and back to normal in the bog. Just transfered all the old media into the new filter with some additional new media. The old sponge didn't quite fit, so I set it above the old one. Glad things are back to normal.

Have to remember to bring the camera in tomorrow so I can get an updated FTS for January!

Also doing some looking through back threads today, and came across this one on ripariums;

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/my-150g-riparium-picture-heavy-127259.html

Truly an inspiring build.

Couple updated shots for January.

FTS from today;
img_1775106_0_92a848f4ccdf54afd67e0e09d67f6f29.jpg

And a shot of the waterfall with the new AC30 running;
img_1775106_1_dde73ea9495fd91a223355accade3fd5.jpg

I will one of these days.... BTW I was doing a little pruning in my 10 gal shrimp/natural tank and saw a second large dragonfly nymph. I always thought there was only one, the mayfly nymph and cranefly nymph populations have been slowly decreasing i think the dragonfly nymphs have been feeding on them. I don't think i have the patience for a project as big as yours. lol

I will one of these days.... BTW I was doing a little pruning in my 10 gal shrimp/natural tank and saw a second large dragonfly nymph. I always thought there was only one, the mayfly nymph and cranefly nymph populations have been slowly decreasing i think the dragonfly nymphs have been feeding on them. I don't think i have the patience for a project as big as yours. lol

They will do that - I've actually seen them go after fish when they get big enough. As for size, mine is only a 20 Long, so not much bigger than yours.

Back
Top Bottom