Xenia or aptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyswife

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought some candy cane coral at the LFS and noticed something on the hard branches. It's too small for pics.To me, it looks like baby xenia, but I'm worried it could be aptasia. Do xenia and aptasia have different amount of "arms" respectively? This stuff is really too small to even count their arms and I really don't want either one of them in my tank. Any suggestions?

I bought some candy cane coral at the LFS and noticed something on the hard branches. It's too small for pics.To me, it looks like baby xenia, but I'm worried it could be aptasia. Do xenia and aptasia have different amount of "arms" respectively? This stuff is really too small to even count their arms and I really don't want either one of them in my tank. Any suggestions?

Yep, if you don't want either; and on a coral chances are much higher that its aiptasia rather than xenia; nuke it with some aiptasia killer. I've used Joe's Juice to kill of GSP where I didn't want it, I would think it would also eliminate xenia as well. Especially if you can get the xenia to take it in. Just don't overdo it and nuke your candy cane.

You can also try scraping it off using a razor or other sharp instrument of destruction.

I think I would be better at scraping than zapping!! I haven't been very successful at hitting the target on aptasia yet, I'm trying to kill some on my zoas using the pickleing lime. I thought I killed 2 weeks ago and it came back yesterday.

When you try zapping it turn off all your pumps and power heads or remove the candy cane and hit the unwanted growth with a syringe.

I didn't think about removing the candy cane... I might be able to do that.

Last edited:
I didn't think about removing the candy cane... I might be able to do that.

With aiptasia its better to turn off the pumps and get them in the tank. The goal is to get them to take in the zapping agent; most will survive flooding. Try using a syringe or micropipette if you have one available. Aim for the middle and let it wrap its tentacles around the object before beginning the injection.

A Picture would have been nice before you zap it... You could of gotten away with a Nice Hitch Hiker. (y)... And just an FYI Xenia are the easiest Soft Corals to grow and great to have....

Touch it, if it recedes into the rock and tries getting away from you, its aiptasia, if not, its probably xenia.

these things are really tiny.. about 1/4" tall and there is about 8 of these things. I'm not concerned about the red stuff, yet.

Attachments

• feb 09007 (Small).jpg
    feb 09007 (Small).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 72
I would watch them. If they continue to grow I would get a couple of peppermint shrimp. They will eat the small aiptasia. If they get over 1/2 inch then juice them.

For one those are not Aiptasia. They are some short of SPS or LPS coral. You can see they are attach to a Skeleton... Hopefully one of the Other Pro's can Chime in... To me they just look like more Candy cane Corals just smaller....

Yes,Ezy33, those are the things I'm talking about. I know they are hard to see. If it's more candy cane.. GREAT!! If it's xenia, well.. okay.

LOL... Those small things Try a Feather Duster.... or could be a Small Common Tube Worm Harmless....

they kinda look like those "mother (bleeping) hydriods" i had... they are still kicking around the tank... im just way to lazy to get them all

-Brad

Hard to tell by the pic but I agree, doesnt look like aptasia. Hydroids maybe... harmless. No worries. If it would happen to be aptasia it will be huge in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I agree with hydroids. Do they enclose themselves in a tube-like structure if touched? Possibly aiptasia if they are soft and recess flat against the skeleton when disturbed/touched.

How do you know if it isn't a feature Duster....??? You got to kind of throw it in the air when your dealing with Hydriods... Hydriods and mini feather Duster look almost the same...

Back
Top Bottom