XP3 intake too strong for fish - Solution!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
So today I lost another Tetra.

When I got home, he was stuck to the XP3 filter intake. I netted him loose, and he was still moving. He was curled, kinda like he had a broken back, and one of his eyes was missing and his face was torn up pretty badly. He didn't last long after he was freed.

This is the 2d tetra I've found up against the intake. The last one died for no apparant reason, and I suspected he got stuck against the force of the intake, but had no reason to prove it, until now. Again, all the other tetras are doing well so I have to suspect this is what it is.

What are my options here? I know the XP3 has a flow control on the output. I don't have that installed, but if I do lower the output, will it lessen the force of the intake?

What I would really like is a strainer like cage, similiar to what the actual intake is, that's just larger and would keep fish further away from the force, without limiting the intakes ability to suck up larger particles.

Thoughts on other ways to remedy this? I don't want to lose any other fish.

TIA

Hmm, I would see if you could use something like screen door material. Get some rubber washers so you can create a cylinder shape. The rubber washer could serve as what holds it to your intake tube. That'd create a cage around your

you could just buy a simple $3 filter sponge.......wait no... that would keep it from sucking up large particles........hmm thats a toughy.....well if tou go to a LFS (not that they seem to reliable lately) you might be able to find a bigger intake cage..... i have found that there are like 20 different models of everything like that so... odds are you could find one to fit your intake? well just thought id try....

One option is to somehow make the filter strainer larger,... so there is less suction per square inch or something... My guess...

I was wondering about this same thing last night. I have a 55g with an Xp3 also. I dont have mine in operation yet. But please PM me or post back as to how you remedy that situation.

I was contemplating using the spray bar for an intake after adding some more holes in it. I doubt I ever use it anyway.

Yeah I want to keep the openings large enough for larger particles, food, etc... The plastic canvas is a great idea, exactly what I was thinking. I'll work that tomorrow and post anything I figure out.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I went through this with some angel fish. It looked like they were getting sucked against the intake and just died there. I think the truth is more like the fish were in a weakened state and could not escape the suction. Chances are that they were going to die any way. If this was a neon, they are not the toughest fish either.

oh yes never thought of that... an important part of this is WHAT TYPE OF TETRA IS THIS??? that would make a big difference... but if you know that they are dieing on the filter then it doesnt matter much anyway....

yeh.... so it has to be the suction....... hmm well sounds like you found a product that will work for it!!! good luck on getting that together!

I agree with sparky... I think it's highly unlikely that the intake is so strong that a fish couldn't swim away from it if it is healthy. If it was indeed that strong, I think you would notice a lot more fish deaths more frequently.
I had the same problem with some cardinals in a ten gallon not too long ago. I'd wake up and find them stuck to the ac20 intake (which was set on low), even a couple still alive. It was just a bad batch of fish.

While I believe it's possible that they're weak, I just don't know, and this little cage idea seems like an easy protection until I uncover any other problems, if there are any.

I stopped at Michaels today at lunch and found a sheet of black needlepoint canvas, or whatever it's called, for 41 cents. I'm planning on cutting it and creating a cage using it and fishing line. We'll see how it turns out.

For now, Sparky clued me in to lifting the lever some on the canister to reduce the flow. I have it running at about 1/2 right now, as of late last night, until I get something in place.

I dont have problems with my filters, it is my powerhead, I used to lsoe snails on it all the time..and snails = money since I breed apples. I have my PH intake covered with a simple blue filter from a in-tank filter, cheap cost like 2 bucks, I just cut a hole in the center to fit around the intake. It actually filters more as well than my other filters.

The only problem is that if I dont clean the prefilter enough, the PH intake gets too blocked and loses much efficiency.

So, Like I said I got some of that needlepoint stuff or whatever, and tonight I made a cage to keep the fish away from the power

Tell me what you think!

Attachments

• img_3110_159.jpg
    img_3110_159.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 25
  • img_3109_103.jpg
    img_3109_103.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 23
  • img_3108_608.jpg
    img_3108_608.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 29
  • img_3107_636.jpg
    img_3107_636.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 30
looks good to me, i have the same filter on my 55 and it always sucks stuff to it, may construct one of those after the redo of the tank

That's funny...I planned on the same exact thing for the diy overflow on my 55....

Great minds huh?

Great job!

Hmm ... Wonder how something like that would look made out of wire in the fashon of a shark cage? Then put a little diver in it. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom