Yay I Got bubbles...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roblikesfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
:roll:

I have a little cheesy 1 gallon tank filled with tap water.

I have set it up to the way I like it. Rocks were cleaned thoroughly with hot watter. Same goes for the plants etc..

I set it up and let it sit with the filter running for about 3 days

Everything is fine.

Then I added Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Stress Coat 1 tea spoon as it instructed. Here is the link to the product: http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_721.shtml

The next day I noticed I started to get bubbles.

I have yet to add fish.

I planed on adding a beta. But these bubbles are annoying.

Why is it doing this? Will it stop bubbling up? Anythin I can do to make it stop ?

I have yet to test the water.

Are the bubbles coming from your filter? If they bug you and you're getting a betta, you can remove the filter. Bettas will do just fine in a tank with no filter.

Maybe you are refering to "new tank" bubbles (I just made that term up, it's not an official term). When you first fill up a tank, the first few days, you will see bubbles on every rock and decoration, as well as the tank sides themselves. This is air escaping from the tiny cracks that are in just about every surface. They will go away. If you disturb the gravel, most of the bubbles will float to the surface and pop.
0X

Yes they are coming from the filter/air pump and just they rise to the top and and just build up soon covering the entire top of the tank. I bet they would rise over if the top was not on ..

Before the Stress coat was added there were no bubble for three or four days of have it set up filter/air pump running etc.

I had this same tank set up previously and it started to bubble up once the stress coat was added.. hence the reason why I re-did it . But did not notice the first time that the stress coat could be the cause.

Please advise

Stress Coat is one teaspoon per 10 gallons, so I think that is too much for one gallon. There are other water conditioners that are added by the drop per gallon method, and if you have a small tank like that they are probably easier to dose. I have never had that happen, but it might be the culprit. I would start over, with fresh water and just use a couple of drops of the Stress Coat, and over 24 hours the chlorine will have dissipated anyway (not chloramines, though, if you have them in your water). See if this resolves the problem. I am glad you waited to add the fish until you determine the source of the problem!

I have witnessed the same bubbling you described and it WAS caused by adding too much dechlore/stress coat to the water. I use to be lazy with the stress coat and just squirt it into the tank, a film forms at the top of the water causing the bubbles to stack up. Dump the water and start over.

Back
Top Bottom