YAY! I WIN!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
After getting on my mom's case last night about my fish tank, then talking to her this morning I CAN GET A FISHY TANK! YAAAAAAAAAAY! Well my fish'll have to last another couple weeks before I can buy one...

Should I just put my fish back in the 10 gal even though they're overstocked in there just so they don't freeze to death... cuz it's been chilly all of a sudden up here and I only have one heater and that's in the 10 gal >_< and I can get my tank probably next week when I get paid again cuz I get 60 every 2 weeks @__@ I hope that's enough...

If you do get a 20 gallon, I suggest a 20 long. They are easier to light and look better, imo.

The 20 gallon long has the same footprint as the 29 gallon, only the 29 gallon is taller. If your mom knew that it would take up the same amount of space, do you think she would let you get the 29 gallon? Mine came from Petsmart with the light and hood for about $70.00. I think the 20 gallon with light and hood is somewhere around $55.00. But check the classifieds and second hand stores! You never know what you will find. :D

@_________@ it might take me a month to get the tank then

Why must tanks be so expensiiivvvvvvvvve....

I dunno if she would, she had like a fit when I told her that you guys recommended 29 or 30 gallons. I think it's just how much water it holds, but if I get it without her then I could just say it's 20 gal ...she'll never know she's not a fish tank person ^^;

If you have to settle for the 20 gal, accept it as a token of good faith from parents. I'm just glad to hear there has been some progress.

Will you be keeping the 10gal?

I know I am @__@ I'm trying to keep the 10 gal since she won't let me get a 30 gal(so 20 +10 =30 I can work it that way), and I told her I'm keeping it and she got kinda irritated and asked why and I was like.. um... cuz i NEED it??

Good news! :D
As far as your fish are concerned, a 20 + a 10 is just as good as a 20. If you get an iron stand, you can keep the 10 gal underneath the 20 gal. That way, it won't take up any more room and will look tidy.

It sounds like your mom is concerned with leaks. The tanks that they had when she was a kid did leak and suffer seam failures occassionally, but the technology has advanced light years since then. Today, leaks are very rare and seam failure is exceedingly rare. I think you just need to convince her of this. Good luck!

My mom didn't even want me to have fish but she let me because I said I'd pay for everything for my fish, she doesn't want to deal with the work involved in doing it. To me, it's just as work to take care of any other animal as it is to take care of a fish except they stay in their habitat and you stay in yours, you just have to be their housekeeper

But I hope my mom lets me keep the 10 gal... and anyhow it was my BIRTHDAY present for my 16th birthday - -; she better let me keep it...

But I hope my mom lets me keep the 10 gal... and anyhow it was my BIRTHDAY present for my 16th birthday - -; she better let me keep it...

From what I understand, a gift is permanent until the reciever decides to let it go. Therefore, proper etiquette demands that you keep the tank. :) If the gift is "un-gifted", that shows bad form. :wink:

Jchillin said:

From what I understand, a gift is permanent until the reciever decides to let it go. Therefore, proper etiquette demands that you keep the tank. :) If the gift is "un-gifted", that shows bad form. :wink:

xD that's great J lol but my mom sometimes isn't that agreeable X3

I agree with severum mama......before you spend your money at the lfs be sure to check newspaper ads and what not. You'd be surprised what kind of setups you can find at garage sales for cheap. But you have to be an early bird. If an aquarium is advertised cheap in the paper it will go fast.

Will do... too bad I'm not a morning person >_< I'll probably search more if I successfully get my license and can go to the flea market or something and see if they have anything there maybe. But I will keep checking around online and stuff ^^

its about time Puriti!!!! just let her know the 10 gallon is to hold your baby fish until you can get rid of them

i'm happy for you and your fish and definetly try to get the 29 gallon, the same footprint but its 9 gallons bigger then the 20 long, like you said dont let her know

good luck! :D

Good Luck. I am also 16 and found it hard getting more tanks in the house lol. So for my 3rd tank (my 29 gal / 3 foot) my mam came back from work to find I had another tank in my bedroom lol. My dad loves tropical fish and use to own a number of tanks himself so me n him secretly got another one. lol . 8) :lol:

If my dad was alive he'd be getting the tank for me most likely he loved fishing and stuff and when I had goldfish when I was younger lol it's just MY MOM.

Back
Top Bottom