Yeah! New tank and want some ideas to make it look as a SW but really FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys and gals....I just got in on the deal at PetCo and got a new 40g tank for the $1 per gallon deal. Okay here is what I would like to do (just a thought), I would like to have this tank to be designed as if it were a real saltwater tank; however, really be a freshwater..so I need ideas in what are some things to purchase that could make it look that way....so far I know I can purchase pool filter sand at my local hardware store and that's as far as I know....HELP PLEASE....all suggestions are welcomed...thank you in advance

Is there a reason why people advise african cichlids for freshwater "reef" tanks? I would go for freshwater gobies, puffers, ect. Fish that look like they belong in a saltwater tank.

bettaowner said:
Is there a reason why people advise african cichlids for freshwater "reef" tanks? I would go for freshwater gobies, puffers, ect. Fish that look like they belong in a saltwater tank.

There ancestors come from saltwater and because they are colorful like saltwater fish. But I see your point aswell great advise :)

Good point. Color is not one of the things that comes to mind when I think about marine tanks. I usually think about variety or how unique the different fish are. That's why I sugguested oddballs.

Good point. Color is not one of the things that comes to mind when I think about marine tanks. I usually think about variety or how unique the different fish are. That's why I sugguested oddballs.

Great thing to point out...I look at the oddness of the fish too

Yes, they are pretty territorial, but I don't think they are very aggressive otherwise. So, it won't attack fish unless they go in to his territory. And the other fish should be able to learn the boundary lines pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom