Yeast and sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kody

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few days ago I had an incident on my part were my yeast and sugar mix backed up into my aquarium I've done two 80% water changes. And have two air diffusors in the tank. Just woundering if any one had an idea on how long it will take for my tank to return to normal

Right now there is a white slimy hair like algea almost on all my moss carpet ,ferns and sand . Fish are fine there is also a wine like smell coming from the tank

Any input would be great

image-1112951297.jpg

image-1838951864.jpg

That sucks sorry to hear that. Hopefully someone can help. I had a carboy practically blow up on me while fermenting beer. Yeast can get crazy real quick.

Had check valves I guess they only prevent aquarium water from going back not the other way around. It sucks

My bubble counter had a build in one too I was so disappointed when I discovered this

If you have a second bottle hooked up before the check valve, such that anything that gets burped up by the yeast bottle goes into the empty bottle and not the tank, you won't have that problem again.

If you have a second bottle hooked up before the check valve, such that anything that gets burped up by the yeast bottle goes into the empty bottle and not the tank, you won't have that problem again.

Did not know check valves didn't work the other way. So, this is a great idea. I will put this in this weekend probably. Thank you!

Did not know check valves didn't work the other way. So, this is a great idea. I will put this in this weekend probably. Thank you!
Well... think about it. They keep stuff from flowing, so if they worked both ways, they'd prevent the co2 from going to the tank. The check valves are to keep water from going back to the generators.

Yea, I'm dumb and didn't think about that. Sorry! I'm still very new to the DIY stuff. Should have seen the mess when I just threw together the mixture last time. Apparently yeast explodes.

Second bottled is a great idea. is it just empty or water part way?

Not sure what to do till the time I need to use it again. Not sure when this mess will be cleaned up

It's empty. It has 2 holes in the top. One coming from the generator, one going to the tank. If the generator pukes, it doesn't go to the tank that way.

I Tried this, For Some Reason, I Couldnt Get it to Work for me. It Kept Sucking the Water From the Second Bottle(Plain Water) back into the Yeast Bottle. I Did have a Check Valve on the Main Tube to my Tank, but NOT Between Bottles. So if you Do this make Sure your using 2 Check Valves. I Didnt Try With 2 yet, but Let me Know How it Works for you. Ill Post a Pick of how I had my Rigged w/ 2 Bottles. Atm I Switched Back to one.

If your Going to Use Just One bottle, Id try filling the bottle only 3/4 way Full( Or Little Less) and Set it in a bucket to keep it From Tipping over.

Also if your going to use Yeast, Once your bubbles slow down, about after a Week, Its Time to Change it Again. Im On My Second Round W/o Any Problems.(Thank the Fish Gods)

Have done a few so far. Goin to do another 80 % after work today. I also noticed my CAE s are goin around eatin this stuff Not sure if the yeast and sugar created a algea type substance but the seem to love this stuff

image-2014650002.jpg

Only thing I can think of is that since you cut your co2 off, hair algae has taken over. you might want to cut back on your photo period (how long your lights are on).

I've pulled all my plants. Cut all my moss down to almost nothin siphoned the gravel/sand and as well as another 80% water change

I made my DIY CO2 recently, and I also have a second bottle to prevent any accidents from happening.

The second bottle I have is connected and the pic shows it alittle, but it is about part full of water where the outake of the actual yeast bottle is part way into the water. With this bubbles form and it acutally can be used as a bubble counter in a way. Then with the airpocket in the second bottle fills with CO2 it is pushed into the tank with another airline tubing above the water level of the second bottle and BAM! Your good to go! Never any accidents.

Its really fun to make and easy. Hope the pic helps some.

45109-albums2359-picture17334.jpg

Back
Top Bottom