Yellow, cloudy well water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrhelton

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi

I always do water changes with my neighbor's well water, but it's been really rainy the last few days, and when I filled up my containers, it came out pretty yellow and cloudy, even after sitting in the containers overnight.

I had to use it anyway because I had a bit of nitrite, so I went ahead and did a change (around 30%). Anyway, my water is very cloudy and pretty yellow now. Is it ok to use well water like that? The fish seem fine, maybe more active than before, but that's probably because of the lower nitrite levels.

(I know I shouldn't have nitrite, I didn't cycle properly before adding fish)

Carbon can be used in the filter to eliminate discoloration and odor... idk if that will help yellow well water, though.

I don't normally use carbon because I have plants, but decided to stick some in the filter just for the next couple of days to see if it worked.

mrhelton said:
I don't normally use carbon because I have plants, but decided to stick some in the filter just for the next couple of days to see if it worked.

Ok, please let me know if it works, because I also have well water and sometimes its yellow and I don't use carbon...

Will do, though I also use Purigen, so it could get clear because of that and not the carbon and I wouldn't know the difference.

Back
Top Bottom