Yellow Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooKooDooKu

Aquarium Advice FINatic
There is some sort of yellow growth on my air tubing and parts of my heater. It is easy to wipe off, and comes off in flakes.

What is this stuff?... and will it go away?

I just migrated a betta from an old 1.5g tank to a new 13g tank. Pretty much everything is new except for the anuba plants that I brought along from the old tank along with some filter stones I transplanted from the old filter to seed the new filter.

The new tank has been up and running about two weeks. I don't have any Ammonia tests on me to test with, but my Nitrite levels are 0.25ppm and Nitrate levels are 5.0ppm (so the tank is cycling... but not fully cycled). The pH is reading about 7.2.

FWIW, the tank has a 2yo betta, snails (Assassin, Nerite, and MTS), and cherry shrimp. The tank also includes the a fore mentioned anuba, some hornwort, and a piece of dense drift wood that's been in other fish tanks in the past. The bed is 2" of fine sand.

There is some sort of yellow growth on my air tubing and parts of my heater. It is easy to wipe off, and comes off in flakes.

What is this stuff?... and will it go away?

I just migrated a betta from an old 1.5g tank to a new 13g tank. Pretty much everything is new except for the anuba plants that I brought along from the old tank along with some filter stones I transplanted from the old filter to seed the new filter.

The new tank has been up and running about two weeks. I don't have any Ammonia tests on me to test with, but my Nitrite levels are 0.25ppm and Nitrate levels are 5.0ppm (so the tank is cycling... but not fully cycled). The pH is reading about 7.2.

FWIW, the tank has a 2yo betta, snails (Assassin, Nerite, and MTS), and cherry shrimp. The tank also includes the a fore mentioned anuba, some hornwort, and a piece of dense drift wood that's been in other fish tanks in the past. The bed is 2" of fine sand.

Sometimes the tubing reacts with something in the water and gets a scaley build up. Not sure exactly what it is but it's harmless from what I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom