Yellow head jawfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jill530

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a thread asking questions about lights and this is included, but I figured I would get more responses to this specific question I am having as my last thread just barely mentioned it. I am starting a 10 gallon nano and am soon going to add sand and live rock. (Its empty as of now). I have been researching possible fish for the tank when the cycles done and figured before I buy anything major I want to know a basic idea of what I want to make sure what I buy will work with my fish after the cycle. I was thinking maybe a yellowhead jawfish. Live aquaria says ten gallons minimum and I was wondering what you guys thought. I know with this I am going to need a deeper sand bed and a specific type of sand too so I was figuring if it was a possibility that I should plan for it when I get the sand. Heres a link:

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Jawfish, Yellowhead

If this is a possibility I wanna know if anyone has one and can tell me the best sand setup.

Nice! I have heard of people building them tunnels out of pvc pipe. That way it gives a possible choice of where they burrow. I have been debating whether to give that a try or not if I actually get one. Any one have any experiance with these guys?

I had one for about half a year. He was actually my favorite little fish. Very shy, but super fun to watch him poke his head out of his hole. He dug a pretty deep hole so make sure there is enough sand for him. Also, I recommend having something over the top of your tank. I don't know if it's common or not, but mine took a suicide dive out of the back of my tank. He made it through a hole about 2x4 in. Found him on the floor the next morning. I'm actually debating between another jawfish or a yellow headed sleeper goby myself. Good luck!

I don't know why glass wouldn't work. I actually had a glass cover on at the time, but he still found one of the only holes in the back for the heater cord. I've also heard that plastic egg crate will work or a diy screen cover. I honestly don't know what the major difference between them all would be. You'd have to ask one of the more experienced members.

Get eggcrate with small openings. Glass covers tend to play havoc with your pH as the oxygen exchange takes place at the water surface. If the CO2 is kept in the water your pH goes down.

I agree with Cmor. Glass covers will cause a lower PH due to poor gas exchange at the surface. Go with the egg crate

Im just afraid a jawfish could still jump through the egg crate. From what I have researched they will jump through just about any hole. What type of screen would I use for a screen cover?

Well I plan to get my jawfish soon (wihin next two weeks) and I still dont have a plan on a cover. Ideas other than egg crate??

im sure you could go to lowes and pick up some screening (for like a screen door) then make a frame the width and length of your tank. im actually thinking about this myself.

Look in my sig for a screening you can purchase and make a virtually translucent top. As for the jawfish, yellowhead's seem to be more fragile and less robust than others.

Hmm never heard that about the jawfish...I just heard they usually die jumping. Any reason they less hardy? Are they real dependent on water quality, food, etc? I really want to try one and the other jawfish get too big for me. As for the netting that looks good Thanks!

Pretty much as I previously said, more fragile because they do not attain the robust size of other species. IME they also tend to hide more because of this; They are more cautious so you have to make sure they are getting enough food whereas other, larger jawfish will come right out of their hole/hiding to capture food.

+1 To innovator. I've heard this from multiple sources about the yellow head jawfish and the pearl jawfish.

hehe, just a note that the yellowhead jawfish IS the pearl(y) jawfish ;) Dontcha' love common names? :p XD

Oh well then.. lol, google had me fooled. They looked different though lol. Thanks for that catch Innovator.

Well I am still going to give the yellowhead/pearly a try. It will be all I have for a little so I can focus on getting it food and settled in for a bit before I get anything else I really have to tend to. Thanks for the warning though. Its never easy to tell what fish are hardy or not and its nice to have a heads up by people who know.

Back
Top Bottom